Why become a member? ×

Oh crap!!

Sarah5string

Has he actually quit, or does he just want his ego massaged?

Let him know that it's about as shabby and unprofessional as it gets walking three weeks from a gig!

Tricky to decide if he does walk, but I think I'd try and do the gig at almost any cost.
If it sounds too sparse, try doubling-up the time (or get the drummer to).
If the singer is happy to busk-it with guitar on some numbers then great - but only if he's comfortable with it...

Make the decision as a band, and let the venue know earlier rather than later if you're going to cancel.
Good luck!

similar situation to me except we never had a second guitarist in the first place so i make my bass fill out the gap left by not having one...

its an idea... re-work your sound to accomodate for not having the second guitar... will allow you to be heard more with out the noise of a second guitarist... i presume said guitar playing fool is the rythm...

if so then if you can't find another try follow my advice...

i was in a band once where the drummer quit on the day of our first gig. We played it acoustic, it was sh*t, but we bad-mouthed him through the whole gig infront of about 150 people which made us feel a lot better :)

you've got 3 weeks to sort something out...get a new guitarist? Don't worry about it, you've got loads of time to sort it out. You could even write a whole sets worth of new material in that time if you put your mind to it, so re-writing the tunes for 1 guitar shouldn't be too taxing :huh:

Congratulations - you are now a 3-piece + vocals. This means you can play chords and use more runs to fill the sound out and you're not competing with 2 guits. Oh dear, less guitar w***ing - so sad, too bad.

Enjoy it, play brilliantly as I'm sure you will and get the buzz going about how good you are without him. And leave a pyropastie on his doorstep. Every night for a month.

[quote name='Sibob' post='259201' date='Aug 10 2008, 11:58 AM']But yeah, if the guy was any kind of decent guy, he'd honor the gig and leave after that...basic etiquette![/quote]

+1

Better he leaves now than when you are regularly gigging...try things as a single guitar, could work wonders :) , however looking at your myspace you say you love the whole two guitar thing so maybe try local ads etc for a replacement? In the end the guy doesn't have to be a long term member, you just need someone to fill.

We have a guitarist in the band who can't always make gigs but we take them anyway just turn up and have fun.

In fact we did one last night and got a double encore so it can work.

Our other guitarist is at auschwitz this weekend, what a strange guy.

Oh and the guitarist who quit is d*ck.

Edited by waynepunkdude

Is this one of the same guitarists who didn't think you were ready to gig originally?

I'd dump him on his sorry ass and make sure that every other musician/band in the area knows exactly what a d!ck he is.

"Musicians" like that shouldn't be allowed out of their bedrooms IMO.

Im really sorry to hear this after all the effort you've been putting in sarah!!

But if you have to cancel the gig to make way for it do it sooner rather than later. With three weeks notice and a valid reason most venues wont mind. the day before because someones cats died wont cut it!

That's a damn shame. Hope the rehearsal today is encouraging. Did he say why he needed to leave? Maybe he was just shitting himself about the gig and couldn't say until now. Nevertheless, extremely unprofessional in my opinion. You just don't do that.

Good luck!

Well back from band practice. We are carrying on as a 4 piece and going ahead with the gig. Our singer is going to step up and do some of the guitar rhythm bits that are missing, during the solos etc and our remaining guitarist is going to take over lead. My only concern is now that my mistakes are going to be even more noticeable LOL.
Nah, the show must go on and all that. There's no hard feelings as we're all good mates and if he's not happy then best to tell us now than not turn up on the night of the gig or something.

:)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='259455' date='Aug 10 2008, 06:31 PM']Well back from band practice. We are carrying on as a 4 piece and going ahead with the gig[/quote]

I don't think you'll regret it. I've been in a band once where one of the guitarists left before our first gig. After a while, you'll forget that you were ever a 5-piece.

And there's a bigger slice of cake for each person this way, of course.

S.P.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='260036' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:19 PM']Sounds like you're in a better position now, Sarah. I hate playing in bands with two guitarists. Means you can now put in more as a bass player, too. Play more and shine like the star you are :)[/quote]

+1

Well done for not panicking. Keep the gig, see how it goes and use the space for yourself ..