Why become a member? ×

Logic X help . . . New macbook

King Tut

Hi, I'm in the market for a new MacBook as my old one is getting pretty tired. I have logic installed on a Mac mini and my MacBook. I spoke to an advisor at the Apple Store today and asked if I could uninstall on my old MacBook and reinstall on a new one, as the license only allows you to run the software on one main and one laptop computer. He told me that I couldn't do this and essentially I would have to buy a new copy of Logic X which seems bloody ridiculous to me, as I only want to run it on two computers. Is he right, or can anyone advise me of a workaround on this. In layman's terms please. I'm not computer illiterate but neither am I a whizz kid. With thanks in anticipation,

Colin

Edited by King Tut

I think the guy in the Apple store is full of s**t. Logic Pro X is obtained via the App Store, which means it gets added to your Purchased apps, which means you can sign in with your Apple ID and download and install it on, to be honest, as many computers as you want, just like everything else you buy from the App Store.

I time machined my old macbook and time machined it onto the new one. Easy peasy. I am guessing you are not using Logic X. I was running 8 on my desktop and then went onto Mavericks and it did not like it at all. I had real problems with the display blacking out as the position line moved. I cured it by going to Logic X. I had been waiting for X to come out so was ready to upgrade so it was not a huge deal but I could see it could be super annoying.

Edited by owen

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1420990680' post='2655871']
I don't know, what's to prevent you from logging onto the app store from a friends macbook and download it to that too ?
[/quote]

The License, it wouldn't be legal. There is no point trying a technical means to stop a legal issue. But there is also nothing to stop you using it on your friends macbook as long as you aren't using it on yours at the same time. It is licensed to you, not your machine.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1420997116' post='2655986']
The License, it wouldn't be legal. There is no point trying a technical means to stop a legal issue. But there is also nothing to stop you using it on your friends macbook as long as you aren't using it on yours at the same time. It is licensed to you, not your machine.
[/quote]

But how would they know we were both using it at the same time ?

I'm not planning to do this, but I don't see how you can't, if like has been said, you can just log-in to the app store and re-download it.

I'm just puzzled as to how it works.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1420997500' post='2655991']
But how would they know we were both using it at the same time ?
[/quote]

They don't. It is a legal document. You have the right to use it, you don't have the right to use it the same time someone else does. You know that. If you choose to break the law, there is nothing anyone can really do to stop you, but that doesn't mean it is right to do it.

iTunes account can only be associated with a limited number of machines if I remember rightly. So you won't be able to just log in and download it on a friend's machine. It's been a while since I was Mac-based but I'm sure it's a right pain to swap iTunes accounts around different machines.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1421001962' post='2656059']
iTunes account can only be associated with a limited number of machines if I remember rightly.
[/quote]

You remember rightly, its 5, but that is unrelated to your iCloud / App store account. I assume that does have a limit but I have never taken my account off a machine and I have 5 Mac computers in the house and the machines that went before, so it is way above 5

You can also have multiple App store accounts on one machine

Edited by Woodinblack

I have snow leopard, Mac mini (2007 ), and logic express( which I don't really use).

Time has obviously moved on , but with my versions, you have to have the serial nos. from the. Install discs etc. or better still, the original discs that were purchased ,

However , it sounds like the op has purchased his off the App Store as a download.
If that is the case, then surely , like buying an album /film/ ringtone , this has already been paid for, and there should be no problem Downloading again.

Hopefully the version of logic is compatible with the laptop;)