Why become a member? ×

My Bass Projects

scojack

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1432731569' post='2784349']
Leave this to me in your will???
[/quote]

That might not be a good idea, with such beauty temptation is a constant companion.

I said it before but I'll say it again - that finish turned that body top into something gorgeous. Thank you for the pictures!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1432731569' post='2784349']
Leave this to me in your will???
[/quote]
Do you know something i dont ? :lol:

Thanks for the comments folks, so got the tuners ordered, should be put together fairly soon.
Looking forward to trying out those EMGs :)
Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Wee update...
Well the Eucalyptus bass is just waiting for a nut and some matching hardware.

Really love the way the Satinwood turned out, it just shimmers in the light, (This is the African variety Movingui) still got a bit left too :)
Seemed silly to send the tuners back (they don't go wrong). This bass is now going elsewhere but NOT the Emgs !!, so that just means ....

'

Modified the shape a bit, slightly slimmer on the hips, put a bit of weight on the waist and the bottom horn has been pulled out a bit for better access.
Capped by a lovely piece of Primetimbers finest English Walnut. :)

The back is Sweet Chestnut. I had a lot of problems with splits and defects on this board.Unfortunately just couldn't match the grain/colour on each half.
On the plus side though, i did get the ripples running nicely (just visible...crap photos). Fantastic wood imo, looks like Oaky Ash but it's much lighter in weight, finishes well too :)
All native woods yay !
I'll buy a mismatched set of hardware for this, then match them both up in the end :lol:

Ian

PS
Tried to get a colour comparison with some older tigerwood, Pretty sure these came from the same board ..

Edited by scojack

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress ...
38mm Nut on this one and 33" scale (of course) :)

Just a few oles to drill now, and finish off the frets.

11 pieces of timber went into this neck ! Neither wonder it's taken a while .

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys, your comments are always appreciated :)
Still waiting on fretwire, had to send to Stewmac in the end to get the same stuff.

Been seriously close to chopping an inch off the bottom horn, there's something around there im not 100% happy with.
I have however, been here before and merrily got to work with a tenon saw and regretted it right after (project was binned !!) so just going to leave as is this time around, it's a very minor thing. I will fiddle with the design on paper first before (if) i build another.

Nice to hear from you Nugget !! Whats happening ? Got any builds going?

Orra best
Ian M

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1437402306' post='2825668']

Nice to hear from you Nugget !! Whats happening ? Got any builds going?

Orra best
Ian M
[/quote]

Hi ian

making one right now, 2 waiting to start, maybe one interesting EUB
THEN i get to start on 1 or hopefully 2 secret projects.......

Loving your work as always, super attention to detail and really nice wood choices.
Dave

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1437402306' post='2825668']
Thanks Guys, your comments are always appreciated :)
Still waiting on fretwire, had to send to Stewmac in the end to get the same stuff.

Been seriously close to chopping an inch off the bottom horn, there's something around there im not 100% happy with.
I have however, been here before and merrily got to work with a tenon saw and regretted it right after (project was binned !!) so just going to leave as is this time around, it's a very minor thing. I will fiddle with the design on paper first before (if) i build another.
[/quote]
Yup - definitely try with paper before getting the saw out. Bin there, done that, scrapped mine too :). It looks right and balanced to me, Ian. Trouble with shortening it is that it will end up more stubby and not a reflection of the shape of the upper horn. Not necessarily wrong but definitely a different look...

• 3 weeks later...

So there's just enough time to tackle something else and i fancy a 5'er, loads of wee bits n pieces on the woodpile to use up ..
So it's a 33" fretless 5 on the go now.

The back is a 'mahogany' that's been around the shed for years. The neck has a centre strip of brazilian mahogany, then satinwood and finally makore on the outside.

Pau ferro fb

Used a hardwwod ply for some contrasting lines (salvaged from the side of an old wardrobe nice one Blablas :) )

The walnut bass has a few coats of lacquer so plan is to use the shed for the 5'er first then finish them both together.

Ian

Edited by scojack

Cheers Andy just using up offcuts and old stuff. I bought the top as part of a back n side set (it wasn't expensive so ...had a punt) but never liked it, it was very roughly sawn and manky looking so it got thrown in the pile to maybe use as an accent layer. Anyhoos i came across it again recently so cleaned it up and it turned out better than i thought :) . I still have loads of satinwood and a little makore left over for the neck and the braz mahogany strip came from a plank i must have bought at least 10 years ago from David Dyke. (Only dust and finished stuff leaves my shed!).

Tweaked the body design again and i'm much happier with this , think i may finally have the shape i want nailed, admittedly it's kinda morphed into something that could be a tad 'generic' looking but it's just where it ended up through a Darwinian process of evolution. (phew !)

Edited by scojack

• 4 weeks later...

That's my standard approach for scarf joint necks Andy, most of the stuff on the neck side is waste and is lost with the neck relief, the join is actually buried back in the headstock.
I've been looking at those cracking Warwick Bridges you use on your builds, they would be good to use on this as i could set the string anchor back a fair bit from the bridge and use up the extra string length. But ...do they need to be routered in, would they be good sitting flush on a flat faced bass or would it all be sitting too high up and have a string/body clearance you could fly a plane through ?
I don't have the cahoonahs to freehand the fiddly looking routing ... (unlike some ;) )

Ian

Edited by scojack

Hi Ian. The Warwick bridge would sit far too high if you don't cut a recess with a router. Off the top of my head I seem to remember on the ones I've done having to cut a slot about 7mm deep for the string anchor and about 15mm for the saddles. I've made a template for cutting these if you get stuck. Cheers