Why become a member? ×

Pimping up a Squier VM Jazz Bass

SpikeBass

Still fighting with myself about changing the 'Squier' Decal for a Fender one ...

I got this Bass from a BC member here as he lives local & happens to be a very good friend of mine too, & I have decided to give her a bit of a face-lift. I like the way it is going thus far, looks are not as important as playability and sound but my must confess that this Bass sounds very decent and has a very low fast action just how i like it.

[attachment=180449:MARC3097.jpg]

[attachment=180450:MARC3098.jpg]

[attachment=180451:MARC3100.jpg]

[attachment=180452:MARC3101.jpg]

[attachment=180453:MARC3104.jpg]

I'm proud of the Squier logo on my VM personally. Flaunt it for the good quality brand that it is! :)

Mine has a KiOgon wiring loom, Entwistle JBXN pickups and a Scratch-It custom scratchplate on it. It plays and sounds brilliant and to be honest, it was bloody good off the shelf too.

Here's some eye-candy:

[url="https://flic.kr/p/qc8w2i"][/url]

Edited by Mornats

Thanks guys I have not ordered the Fender Decal yet and may very well not do it. The Squier decal is very easy to remove using fine wire wool.

Mornats - I like the darker tone of the laquer on your neck, maybe I will just 'age' the look of the original. At the moment it just seems way too 'MATT/SATIN' for my taste although of cause this does not affect the sound one bit.

Nice to have a Jazz Bass to compliment my MIJ '62 reissue (off white/tort).

I love mine too, its the best sounding passive 'Fender' I've ever owned and I too am very proud of it being 'just a squier'.. The only mod I did to mine was black knobs.

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/DSC_0027_zpsrpcxyysn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/DSC_0027_zpsrpcxyysn.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Apparently its a Cort built one as opposed to the Samick factory ones.

The first part of the serial number according to my friend Google.

IC is the Cort factory whereas IS refers to the Samick ones then the next two numbers refer to year of manufacture - seemingly '06 in my case. Hope that helps.

The quality of Squiers lately seems to be very high
Don't think I've played a bad one, I must say

The VM series were brilliant
The CV series seems even better again
I'd leave it alone - but as others have said it's your bass

The Squier logo wouldn't bother me, but I also understand the argument of the Fender logo completing "the look"
At the moment, I see you have opted to keep the Squier logo
I've got a project with a Matsumoko P body and a Squier neck
(One day, I might even get around to finishing it!)
and my thoughts are, to put a Fender logo on it - for that "look"

Others have said don't do it, and if you want a Fender then buy a Fender
but the final choice is yours....
The most important thing, I'd say, is not to try & pass it off as a Fender....
eg. if, and I mean "if" I opt to apply one to my project, I'll keep the Squier details on the back of the headstock....

But given the quality of Squiers lately - just keep the existing logo....

EDIT: I was also going to say, I'm amazed at how cheaply I've seen some Squiers go for 2nd hand

Edited by Marc S

I never had any intention of 'passing it off as a Fender', don't know where this has come from.. I have a Fender so I don't wish to pretend I have one. The LOOK was what I was after, I would leave the serial on HAD I of decided to change it but as I have already stated Im gonna leave it alone.

Great basses for the price, Im delighted with mine, along with my other basses .

[quote name='SpikeBass' timestamp='1421173039' post='2658049']
I never had any intention of 'passing it off as a Fender', don't know where this has come from.. .....

......Great basses for the price, Im delighted with mine, along with my other basses .
[/quote]

I wasn't trying to suggest you were...
I merely pointed out that it was important, not to attempt to do so....
(I've noted some people spotting fakes on ebay)

Yes, they are great basses - you get a lot of bass for less cash these days

Whatever it says on the headstock, they're made by Cort or Samick anyways! Ha! :D

I considered putting an active circuit in mine but it sounds transparent and slick enough without. I like the idea of the Marcus Miller (I've been listening to him alot again lately!) John East circuit but having a questionable experience with the signature model bass, I'll leave it passive..

The bloke I got mine from had an active circuit in his other VM Squier and he was telling me he preferred the passive sound, must say, after using mine in the studio the other day, I have to agree with him. I have never been keen on active guitars, I play a lot of traditional Ska and Reggae so the passive suits me better.