Why become a member? ×

Dingwalls

Markolinni

Hello Everyone, and a new year :)

Im writing, because i put in my head that i want to this year upgrade and jump for a new instrument level.
Actually i have a G&L tribute L2500, which i like the sound a lot, so i was thinking on upgrading for a US L2500 version, but...
...I have read a lot about the dingwalls, here and over the talkbass, and i look like great basses, mainly the B string, wich i quite use a lot. Over this im thinking on them.

Over both, what to chosse? Im mainly play rock/hard rock, and also funk, blues, and tradicional music (Portuguese, african and brazilian). Mainly, im looking for a multiporpose instrument.

I looked at the ABZ, witch is the lightest ones, (i have back problems, so this is the other reason for changing) passive ones, and this can give the option of add an otboard preamp if wanted (Tone hammer, Tech21, Sad, and so).
I looked for the NG2 model to, but the colors, well.. tastes.. but apart of that, the main reason, is sound and confort/playability.

So, what to go??

I play throught a GB Streamliner 600 and 2x 12" focus

Thank you all.

I have never owned a dingwall, only tried a few in shops, but I kinda get the impression that the fanned fret thing is the main focus and the actual sound the instrument makes is maybe a little sterile...

I would say it's going to be a very different beast if you're used to a L2500 which has very powerful electronics and a huge range of tonal variations with the onboard controls. Then again you may prefer the simplicity of a transparent tone from the bass itself and can always add a little flavour with your preamp / EQ of choice... definitely try a few out if you can.

Personally I prefer the L2500. I think the G&L tributes represent excellent value for money.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1420556538' post='2650587']
I have never owned a dingwall, only tried a few in shops, but I kinda get the impression that the fanned fret thing is the main focus and the actual sound the instrument makes is maybe a little sterile...

definitely try a few out if you can.

[/quote]

I can only second this. I loved how mine felt to play but the tone left me a little dry. The low B was superb though and I miss the bass a lot (to the point I occasionally wonder if I made the right decision). But I had played Warwicks exclusively before the Dingwall so missed having that 'growl'.

I had a passive ABZ5 and it was very easy to play.

The only reason I sold it was because I'm extremely selective about the strings I like and I couldn't get them long enough. But I would happily have a Super J which has a slightly shorter scale.

I think the passive ones are a bit sterile sounding, but I'e also tried a Super J that was excellent - sounded like a very good active Jazz.

The best option might be to pick a passive one and then add the onboard preamp of your choice - or even get someone like Nordstrand to make passive pickups for you that fit (They'll make anything)

At some point I will own a Super J!

I've had a couple, and still have an ABZ4, I've added the P-Tone pickup, because that's a sound I like. They're a fantastic bass - not just the fanned frets: the banjo frets, composite radius board, superb build quality, great string tension and super-light weight. The passive setup has the four-way pickup switch and the tone control sweeps really nicely. I have East U-Retro EQs in all my other basses, but I've not felt the need to put one in my ABZ.

I've had an ABII, but for me it wasn't different enough to the ABZ to justify keeping both.

I own a ABZ5. It has the P-Tone pickup.
It is very light and comfortable and I would not say by any means that it is sterile.
My other basses includes Spectors and high-end Ibanez Presting Soundgears and I find the ABZ very musical and dynamic sounding.
I got all the growl and grit from the Spector, so I was looking for a different sound and I was pleasantly surprised by the ABZ5.
The B string is very usable high up in the neck, still rings well and has lots of harmonic overtones.
The pickup selector is very usable and I do find useful sounds in all 4 modes. Also I use the passive tone control a lot more that I thought I would because it adds possibilities.
So far I have not felt the necessity of adding a OBP.

The overall build quality, joints, painting, fretjob etc. is top notch!

Sheldon has managed to dial in a recipe for lots of growl with his basses - not an easy thing to do consistently as any Fender player will attest. The basses I tried at the last LBGS were far from dry sounding but its also worth bearing in mind that many new basses can take a while to relax and settle in. I know this was definitely the case with my Shuker.

Hello everyone.
Thank you for your impressions about the bass. I honestly just know what sound throught the Youtube.
The main reason to settle by this, is about the weight. Then, hear about a little more, and honestly impressed a lot. Unfortunatly im from Portugal, and here simply doesnt exist.. i believe that one day i have to go to england, at bass direct to try it. :s

Since my amp is a streamliner it has an imput stage with valves, and it sound very good.
Also, i thinkiing meanwhile to get a preamp/di not just for this, but actually to use with my G&L that goes "dry" to the FOH, and with this can give a little of "wet/post eq/amps simulation) and with this probably mix it.

About the youtube videos it looks like that it doesnt sound sterile at all (just for my ears..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GC_KQ2Fo18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmfOSD_Jjc (starting 5mim)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbfLBkSqXU

For who have them, can help me if it sounds something like this? I have other option, that is the NG2, but is havier and i don't know its sounds like :S

Regards

I've not felt the B strings to be that much different to anything else that has a good B already, Lakland, GB, Sadowsky, Alleva Coppolo, Roscoe etc etc and only a touch better than my Musicman Classic5 which is only 34", that said I do like them and I'd happily buy one if I liked the sound of it. The Tribute you have is already a good bass as are most once you get out of the very budget stuff, the difference between a £159 and £459 bass is much larger than those between £459 and £1459 imo and ime.

Visit bass direct and try them all :D

Thank you.
Yes my main concern is actually the weight, thats why i just focus the abz series.
My idea of bass finish is the natural with wenge fretboard and luminlay dots for dark venues.
I really like the sound of that. Thats why i felt in a very interess/gas feeling hehe.

About the g&l, yes. It sound very good and with a good construcion and sound.Its my main bass since 2007, and i use 95% with the same setup (both pu, series, active, 80%Bass and treble). Its the sound i like most of it..

About try out.. Well, i would love to, but need to go to england. In Portugal it doesn't exist. And it is a bit high price and need availability.
One of my biggest fears is about the sound, if it is clean an sterile with no caracter or if it cut throught the mix well, because spend a lot of money in a instrument and doesn't sound well, its what i don't want.
The G&L is good with the PA, but for example my ex Yamaha TRB105 it sound completly.. Meehh , no life no presence and no chatacter. Hated so much and desapointed me, that i traded with the atk (MM sound style)

Now have saw the maruszczyk elwood basses and they also are light.. Could be other option..and cheaper. But it sound more of the same other basses.. well :S

Regards

Edited by Markolinni