Why become a member? ×

Which musicians (other than bass) do you admire?

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='258637' date='Aug 9 2008, 12:45 AM']I'll never forget getting home late from a gig many, many years ago, very tired.

I sat scanning through the old German satellite channels and came across Paco, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola playing acoustic guitars.

I chucked a VHS tape in the old video recorder and sat mesmerised. It was absolutely stunning and I completely forgot that I was tired. Just amazing.

I then went to Australia years later, and got hold of a copy of the CD of that night, on a market stall at a knock down price. Wonderful bit of business.[/quote]

The Meeting of the Spirits, the version of that with Larry Coryell (haven't seen the Di Meola version, although I've heard it) is possibly my favourite piece of live music ever. The music, the performances (although poor old Larry looks completely out of his depth IMHO); just transcendental. The beatific grin on John's face all the way through just says it all.

In addition, Buddy Rich (any truly great drummer, but he's by far the best IMHO). Saw him twice; greatest musician I've ever seen by an absolute mile. Incredible sense of time and drive, so flowing, so natural, but with so much energy and passion.

Anyone who plays the piano really well, be it jazz or classical, as to me it's like a great set of opposite coloured teeth! Oscar Peterson would be a good example.

Any great string players, particularly violinists; Sarah Chang being a good example. I saw Lucia Miccarelli playing Nocturne recently on one of the music channels and cried all the way through it. Next time it was on I recorded it, have watched it several times since and it reduces me to tears every time. Oh, and great classical or flamenco guitarists. I think for me it's about someone who can convey true passion and emotion through their playing.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='258601' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:24 PM']To name but a few.....

I also really admire people like Neil Finn, not for being a great musician, but for being an incredible songwriter which in many ways is as important, if not more so, than just being a great guitarist/drummer, etc.[/quote]

Amen to that; far more important. A great musician without great music is nothing. I look up to someone like McCartney (despite him having written a few ropey songs in his time) or Ulvaeus/Anderson far more than someone like Jeff Berlin or even Jaco because of the songs they've written.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='258827' date='Aug 9 2008, 01:59 PM']Actually, thinking about wierd musicians, your avatar's just reminded me of something. I did a bit of TV work some years back, and after the last programme of the series, we set up in the bar and did a gig. We were joined by Uncle Peter (Woof, Bark, Donkey) on drums, and Fish on vocals, whilst being watched by Noddy Holder and Frank Sidebottom. Surreal.[/quote]

!!!!!!! Are you sure that wasn't a cheese-before-bedtime induced dream????? :)

Edited by 4000

good pianists and drummers generally get my admiration

- I've seen a good few piano/keys players, and I'd select Joe Zawinul - because of his band-leading and compositional skills (apart from his proficiency as a musician). And I'd add Charles Earland (hammond organist) as well, because I've never seen a musician looking like they were enjoying themselves as much as he was.

drums wise, the ones that have stood out were Victor Lewis, Jack DeJohnette, Elvin Jones and Paco Sery. all four of them had shivers going down my spine (in a good way) which is not something you can often say about drummers :)

On Sax, I always really enjoy listening to Eddie Harris, maybe not the best technician, but hugely lyrical and soulful playing.

Rory Gallagher for spirit and passion in his playing,Richard Thompson for being the finest British songwriter,Niel Finn for songwriting,Steve Earle,Dave Matthews and Sting for the same,Pick Withers(old Dire Straits drummer)for augmenting the song,Frazer Robb(drummer in my band)for always playing the right groove,Warner Hodges III(Jason & the Scorchers)for mixing shredding with C&W licks.

In my opinion there is no musician alive that can touch the genius of Beethoven and the other classic composers!! They thought about music on such a different level..

Apart from those i admire Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Anita Baker for her beautiful love songs...Billy Joel, Meshell Ndegeocello,Sting,Pink Floyd..

Steve Smith and Poogie Bell are the best drummers in the world, IMHO..

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='258654' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:06 AM']+1 on Bill Nelson. 20 odd years ago I bought his album "Chimera". Loved his work ever since.Massively talented and even more prolific.

other guitarists I like for being a bit different are Robin Simon(Magazine/Ultravox),John McGeoch (RIP)(Magazine/Banshees) Will Seargant (Echo & The Bunnymen) Johnny Marr (The Smiths,Electronic etc)and Charlie Burchill for his early work with Simple Minds

Drummers I like would be Steve Jansen (Japan) and Budgie (banshees)

from a songwriting point of view...John Foxx (saw him doing the metamatic album at the Barfly Glasgow last year and it was fantastic)the guy from Anthony and the Johnsons and The Blue Nile

I'm not really up on other instruments but i always liked Andy Mckays sax and oboe on the early Roxy music stuff and Billy Currie's keyboard and violin with Ultravox[/quote]
+1 for Bill Nelson, the late, great John McGeoch, Budgie, Stewart Copland and Andy Mckay amongst many others..

I've always had a liking for pianists, singers and songwriters and Prince is oustanding in all three of those skills.. And in this area, Stevie Wonder and Kate Bush spring to mind too. I've always been a Carlos Santana fan on the guitar front and love Paco DeLucia also.

But the great thing (when you think about it) is just how many wonderful, talented and inspiring musicians there are out there to give us something to enjoy and aspire to!

[quote name='4000' post='259253' date='Aug 10 2008, 12:57 PM']!!!!!!! Are you sure that wasn't a cheese-before-bedtime induced dream????? :huh:[/quote]
Ha ha.....the only thing I wish I had was a copy of it. But it was impromptu, as an end of series bash.

Uncle Peter (can't even remember his bloody real name now - I'm sure it's Alan or something) played the drums left handed, so we had to do a quick set up change of the kit. And he signed the drummers snare skin with the old "Woof, Bark, Donkey...I'll tell you that". He also drove a knackered old Volvo estate in his slippers!!

Hang on, it's sounding even more like a cheese induced dream :)

Edited by Thunderthumbs

I think jordan rudess, mike portnoy, james labrie and john petrucci of dream theater are all rather awesome (and obviously john myung, but he's a bassist)

Dimebag Darrell was also an awesome guitarist and phil anselmo of pantera/down has one hell of a voice too

Also Hendrix, he was cool

Oh and robert plant because his voice is awesome again, and jimmy page because he wrote some awesome licks

And same reasons again for brian johnson and angus young

Edited by budget bassist

MB1. B
Daltrey/Townshend
Dury/Jankel
Becker/Fagen
Harvey/Glen/Cleminson/Mckenna/Mckenna.
Nelson/Fox/Clarke/Tumahai.
Trower/Dewar
Lynott/Robertson/Gorham/Downey
Ackerman/van der lear
Connelly/Priest/Tucker/Scott.
Bolan/Finn
King/lindup/Gould/Gould
Morrisey/Marr
Hynde/Chambers.
Fife/Mysterious
Bowie
Page/Plant

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='258526' date='Aug 8 2008, 09:51 PM']Drummers,musicians? are you sure? :huh:[/quote]
Probably not your thing but you should try a Spocks Beard gig. Nick D'Viglio was the drummer but has now done a Collins and become the vocalist who also still gets behind the kit on occasion, and plays guitar and keyboards (curse him :))

Otherwise having looked through the thread & been agreeing with all the suggestions I have no more to add