Why become a member? ×

Rhythm Stick. And trifle...

MarkW

OK, this really isn’t very good, but having made it for a family member who wanted to hear it I thought I’d post it for all the good folks here. Ignore the trifle interlude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLU8WESyVoE

We stuck this in our set list a few months ago, and our guitarist never misses an opportunity to tell me I’m crap, so you’re not going to hurt my feelings if you want to tuck in

Happy New Year to one and all! :)

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed

Your guitarist is a tosser, tell him his like are ten a penny, throw a brick down a street and you'll hit at least three guitarists who are pretty good (and and a bunch of others who are not). Perform the same experiment for bass players of your calibre and that brick won't find even one (remember you'll be throwing the brick).

Good work work there and excellent use of the interlude, I never know what to do during that bit.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1420192070' post='2646450']
Good work work there and excellent use of the interlude, I never know what to do during that bit.
[/quote]

The bass player from 'A Perfect Circle' got that one nailed in Judith I think at 1:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1420195695' post='2646494']
The bass player from 'A Perfect Circle' got that one nailed in Judith I think at 1:50 [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=xTgKRCXybSM[/url]
[/quote]I wish I had the hair available to be able to do that, a thinning number 1 only allows for scratching or sweat to be mopped up (sorry TMI).

The funny thing is I learned this on a 4-string and play it the same way on the 5-string - using the low B to avoid changing position just feels like cheating, and it isn't half as much fun to play.

Having a drummer who counts you in way too fast when you're playing live also makes playing along to the original a good bit easier!

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1420217527' post='2646788']

Having a drummer who counts you in way too fast when you're playing live also makes playing along to the original a good bit easier!
[/quote]I used to play this with a drummer who would count it in at the required BPM and proceed to accelerate to about 20-30 BPM more. One night I just had to stop it was going sooo fast and I just couldn't play any faster.

Just like to add thanks for doing this. It was one of those songs I always wanted to do but didn't really ever get started on. Due to your video I did get started on it, and ok, it is not full speed or particularly fluid at the moment, but it is somewhere where I can imagine it being full speed and fluid after a bit (lot) of practice!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1420152857' post='2646249']
OK, this really isn't very good...
We stuck this in our set list a few months ago, and our guitarist never misses an opportunity to tell me I'm crap, so you’re not going to hurt my feelings if you want to tuck in...
[/quote]

No, it's not very good, and you're cra ...

Nah, just joshin'. You don't seem over-fussed about laying that down, and it's certainly not me that's going to find the solitary bum note in there..! Great bass line; shame it's a cr*p song (I'm a drummer, so that part really does not 'float my boat'...). Good stuff; thanks for sharing. B)
(... [i]and a belated Happy New Year to you and yours, too[/i]... :) )

Cheers buddy :-)

To be fair to our guitarist, I am a crap bass player: I can learn stuff like this easily enough (it's just a bit of pentatonic twiddling) but I can't solo to save my life, and anything by Claypool and co is so totally beyond me that I wouldn't even know where to start! It was a running joke in the jazz band I played in that whenever it said 'bass solo' it would be over to someone else...

I'd love to be able to improvise, but I watch those fantastic Janek Gwizdala videos and just feel crushed. In the end I got so fed up with our guitarist making comments about how much better the band would sound with a decent bass player that I left. I'm in another band with him too, and at our last rehearsal his opening gambit to me was that they've got a proper bass player in the jazz band now, and it finally sounds great. I only picked the bass up less than three years ago after not having touched it for over 20 years, and before that I was just a self-taught teenager. I try to make up for the lack of technical pyrotechnics by playing tastefully and musically: more Duck Dunn than Mark King :-)