Why become a member? ×

Bass speaker in front

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1419899590' post='2643883']
I play mainly pubs, I prefer the sound my rig gets out front than the PA can get
[/quote]

What amp you using ? Can you DI out of your amp and trickle a bit into the PA and use your cabinet at lower volume, although in Pubs I find my rig fills the pub without needing PA support and at a volume which is not overbearing amongst the band.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1419899590' post='2643883']
So I'm trying having my barefaced super 12T in line with the PA tops ( in front of Me )
[/quote]

Sounds like a construction job if you PA tops are on stands :)

--

You'll find that your bass doesn't need to be so loud to fill the pub, its generally the guitar that doesn't carry to the back of a pub from a cabinet IME

I think the main problem I have is that quite often I'm only about 1ft away from my cab , It's not so much volume it's not enough space for the sound wave to form , when I do a sound check it sounds great on the dance floor, Going through the PA Helps but it just can't get the same sound that the barefaced cab can , Yes I think I have been too loud trying to hear myself when it's just making it worse . I need to experiment with the band posistioning , just a couple ft would make a difference .

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1419922406' post='2643927']
Bring a good quality mic to feed your cab sound to the PA.

Turn it down.
[/quote][quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1419922406' post='2643927']
Bring a good quality mic to feed your cab sound to the PA.

Turn it down.
[/quote] can you suggest any makes ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1420032168' post='2644991']
I think the main problem I have is that quite often I'm only about 1ft away from my cab , It's not so much volume it's not enough space for the sound wave to form , when I do a sound check it sounds great on the dance floor, Going through the PA Helps but it just can't get the same sound that the barefaced cab can , Yes I think I have been too loud trying to hear myself when it's just making it worse . I need to experiment with the band posistioning , just a couple ft would make a difference .
[/quote]

If you are only 1ft in front of your cab, surely the problem stems from not having ears in your lower legs, not a lack of 'space for the sound wave to form'.

[/quote]

Ok. So you can't hear yourself unless you turn it up loud and then it's too loud out front.

That's a slightly different problem.

As suggested by JapanAxe, your ears are not in your knees so you need to tilt the cab back to aim it at your head.

Edited by TimR

Although for different reasons I bought a Sure PG52 bass mic about 2 years ago , l think off the top of my head, about £120, not the best l know but it works fine, gets me the the sound out front that l like, opposed to what the soundman likes ! tho you'll find a lot of tech's dont like doing this, prefer the ease of the DI .

[/quote]

I fell for that many years ago and vowed 'never again'.

Didn't stop me getting caught two weeks ago though. :rolleyes:
I had no space to move forwards and spent the entire night struggling to hear what I was doing.
Totally my fault as I got to the setup last. :D