Why become a member? ×

Need a wedding band that doesn't play Mustang Sally

coasterbass

Morning,

A friend of a friend approached us to play a wedding on Saturday 25th October. Sadly our drummer is on his holidays so we can't do it.

Any of you guys fancy this gig? I'm afraid I don't have the address for the wedding, but she's London based.

She said she'd found it difficult to find a band who'd play modern stuff (Killers, Kaiser Chiefs etc).
Plus she said she refused to consider any band that had Mustang Sally in their repertoire. :)

There isn't one - 'it's what the public wants'

Oh, what's this, a CUSTOMER telling musicians NOT to play Mustang Sally? But that can't be right, 'it's what the public wants'. She is clearly delusional. We must send here for reconditioning to the 'Commitments' school of musical appreciation.

AAAAGA Do Do DO......!!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='257932' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:28 AM']As long as it's not too far away - we'd prob be up for it. [url="http://wagthedogband.co.uk"]Wag The Dog[/url][/quote]

WOW I am green with envy... look at your set list

Always been a big SKA / RudeBoy fan (was one in the late 70's early 80's) I wish I could get our band to play some of those... nearest I get is Clapton's cover of "Shot the sheriff"

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='257985' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:24 PM']Mustang Sally has to be one of the most bland songsever made, I guess thats why it works well at weddings[/quote]

Depends how well it's done. I know it's a cliche to hear it at a wedding, but like Al says, nothing, but nothing comes close when it's done properly.
We did a wedding with a set list completely by request. I can't find the setlist now, but it was all stuff like Franz Ferdinand, Stone Roses, Sultans of Ping FC, Oasis, Jam, Fratellis, White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Jet, Wonder Stuff, Dandy Warhols - that kind of thing. To the right audience, it went down a storm (and no Mustang Sally - although, that's not to say I [i]won't[/i] play it).

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='257996' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:31 PM']I've played at hundreds and hundreds of trad weddings - nothing but nothing goes down better than a bit of Mustang Sally and the like. If you want to go down like whale sh*t, by all means play a bit of prog rock or punk or jazz.[/quote]

+1

+1

We've played at a number of weddings where the Bride and Groom try to pick a set list for the band based on the songs that they listen to, past and present. We always try to explain, as democratically as possible that Great Aunt Hilda has never heard of 'A Flock Of Seagulls' and that our set (which includes Mustang Sally) has been developed to contain something for everyone.

Personally I hate the song, but it always goes down a storm.

Edited by bassman2790

*stop on the one* "Let's hear you Basingstoke Working Men's Club!"

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE SALLY RIDE!

...... what's not to like?!?

[size=1]EDIT - PS: Played it last night at a wedding in Worcester and it went down an absolute storm of course![/size]

Edited by bassmandan

[quote name='Monz' post='257974' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:00 PM']WOW I am green with envy... look at your set list

Always been a big SKA / RudeBoy fan (was one in the late 70's early 80's) I wish I could get our band to play some of those... nearest I get is Clapton's cover of "Shot the sheriff"[/quote]
Cheers...some of those tunes are great fun to play. :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='258103' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:02 PM']...did I mention that I f*cking hate the song with unbridled passion and that my teeth itch whenever we play it?[/quote]

It's the same every time I have to play Hotel Cali-fnckin-fornia I CAN'T STAND IT!!!! I used to love it, but, quoting another cheese classic, it's #lost that, looooovin feeeeelin!, woah woah, that lovin feelin...#

I've recently persuaded my covers band to play MustSal, purely for the aformentioned cheesiness:D

Slight off-topic, but staying with the classics, we were rehearsing [i]Wonderful World[/i] by Sam Cooke the other night.

Having two kids still at school, I started one verse with [color="#8B0000"]Don't know much about I.C.T., don't know much sociology ...[/color]

It all broke down when I realised that I couldn't get [color="#8B0000"]Media Studies[/color] even to scan, let alone rhyme.

:)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='258117' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:09 PM']I've recently persuaded my covers band to play MustSal, purely for the aformentioned cheesiness:D[/quote]

Can the moderators exclude this guy...? :)

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='258155' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:29 PM']Slight off-topic, but staying with the classics, we were rehearsing [i]Wonderful World[/i] by Sam Cooke the other night.

Having two kids still at school, I started one verse with [color="#8B0000"]Don't know much about I.C.T., don't know much sociology ...[/color]

It all broke down when I realised that I couldn't get [color="#8B0000"]Media Studies[/color] even to scan, let alone rhyme.

:huh:[/quote]

Your just not trying hard enough are you... :huh: :)

The Flailing Pits are a fun alternative if you want someone who plays more modern stuff. Maybe not as polished as the typical wedding band but might be waht your friend is after. I think they have vids on YouTube as well now.

Based on their MySpace page their 'influences' are:

Stone Roses, Charlatans, Flaming Lips, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Van Halen, Happy Mondays, James, Foo Fighters, The Cars, Razorlight, Rolling Stones, New Order, Verve, Hard Fi, Kaiser Chiefs, The Smiths, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Jet, the Who, The Jam, the Darkness, Inspiral Carpets, the Cult, Kula Shaka, Hard-Fi, Cream, Bros

I know their guitarist and he's a very nice chap indeed!

Pm me for details if you're interested

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='258103' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:02 PM']...did I mention that I f*cking hate the song with unbridled passion and that my teeth itch whenever we play it?[/quote]

Same here! But hey, it's what the people want more often than not. And they pay the wages too, let's not forget.

Anyway, why don't they just ask the chosen band NOT to play it? Any band can choose NOT to play a song in their set list!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='258159' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:31 PM']Can the moderators exclude this guy...? :)[/quote]

huh? :huh: Bilbo, I have one thing to say to you and your carrots!

*ahem*

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='257970' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:57 AM']AAAAGA Do Do DO......!![/quote]

So don't you go gettin me all moderated! :-P

I thoroughly enjoy the song, but it's a beautifully cheesy classic, and I stand by this!

so there! :huh: *harrumph*