Why become a member? ×

Help stop the blatant profiteering from ticket touting

tonybassplayer

• 3 weeks later...

I was all ready to sign this, but unfortunately they haven't thought it through:

[i]We are calling for Trading Standards and the UK Government to step in, increase and change the laws around companies ripping off legitimate fans wanting tickets to their favourite artists.[/i]

Although there is a Trading Standards Institute that lobbies the Government at national level, it is the Government who make the laws, not Trading Standards. Current Government policy is to [i]decrease[/i] restrictions on businesses (so-called 'red tape'). Consumer laws are mainly enforced by Trading Standards services, which are delivered at local level by local councils. Councils have suffered huge funding cuts in the last few years (with more to come), and are unlikely to prioritise this ahead of issues like food fraud.

Also the Office of Fair Trading (to whom the petition is addressed) closed on 1st April 2014, with its responsibilities passed to various other bodies.

I am afraid the petitioner needs to re-think the petition, and put forward a reasoned and coherent argument before it will be worthwhile signing.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1420983018' post='2655753']
Maybe, just maybe this is the beginning of the end.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30761947
[/quote]

Seems to me the venues need to upgrade their software so that it not only verifies you are a human being but also somehow checks that the funds are coming from a unique source.

It's all very well saying only 8 tickets per customer but what's the point if they have no way of enforcing it.

Then have a limited percentage of ticket sales available to package tour operators who can prove they're selling them as part of a package.

• 2 weeks later...