Why become a member? ×

P sound from a MM pickup?

dincz

No progress with the Thingray but while wondering about hiding the excavations, it occurred to me that as there's already a vacant MM rout in the P-ish spot, why not drop another MM pickup in there for cosmetics and versatility. How close would it get to a P sound?

[URL=http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/dincz/media/P1000249_zps78a2f8e2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/dincz/P1000249_zps78a2f8e2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1419239665' post='2637784']
I once owned [url="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20SOLD/Westone%20The%20Rail%201986%20SOLD"]http://s1128.photobu...l%201986%20SOLD[/url] which leads me to believe that the answer is ... closer than you might think.
[/quote]

Or as close as I think it might :)

I'm a pickup-position convert thanks to the Thingray experiment but wondering whether any specific MM pickup would get me closer.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419244989' post='2637859']
How about making it a sliding pickup, a la Gibson Grabber?
[/quote]

I've a similar Cort - That I've already defretted . . . And am thinking of making a second body with a sliding pickup - partly to avoid messing the current body, but also because I want to try making a neck in the new year. . . so we'll have to see.

Got to figure out tools and jigs - both for making the parts, [s]but[/s] and assembling the sliding rig.
From what I've seen some of the early Dan Armstrong designs are pretty straightforward to base mine on...

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1419247985' post='2637896']
Got to figure out tools and jigs - both for making the parts, [s]but[/s] and assembling the sliding rig.
From what I've seen some of the early Dan Armstrong designs are pretty straightforward to base mine on...

[/quote]

Hard to do, but how cool would it be to have a lever or switch that quickly changes the position of the pickup on the fly? Might be a problem weight-wise if a motor needs to be used, but hey - I just have the great ideas, it's up to other people to put them into practice!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419248832' post='2637905']

Hard to do, but how cool would it be to have a lever or switch that quickly changes the position of the pickup on the fly? Might be a problem weight-wise if a motor needs to be used, but hey - I just have the great ideas, it's up to other people to put them into practice!
[/quote]
I think an Archimedes screw would be ideal for that.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419249862' post='2637924']

You could well be right there, but again weight and power are the issues. :)
[/quote]
You could use a nylon screw instead of metal. The motor wouldn't have to be too heavy, and if fitted under the bridge of a bass that suffers with neck dive, it might actually help.

You could install a socket on the guitar that could take power from a foot pedal, one that rocks backwards and forwards. The cool thing about that would be that the harder you press in one direction the faster the screw would turn. And with your hands being free to play, it might even work as an effect.

I know I'm over thinking this, but I'm trying to take my mind off other stuff.

Talking about over thinking... Imagine having a small pickup for each string, each mounted on a screw that can be turned individually so that each pickup could be anywhere along the string. I wonder if you might be able to create some kind of perfect tonal balance? There are probably a million reasons why this wouldn't work, but it is an interesting idea, I think.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1419250797' post='2637950']
I know I'm over thinking this, but I'm trying to take my mind off other stuff. Talking about over thinking... Imagine having a small pickup for each string, each mounted on a screw that can be turned individually so that each pickup could be anywhere along the string. I wonder if you might be able to create some kind of perfect tonal balance? There are probably a million reasons why this wouldn't work, but it is an interesting idea, I think.
[/quote]

Can you over-think? I reckon you should make a protoype and patent it, quick!! :)

Interesting stuff. I think a simple sliding pickup may be more appropriate to my experience level at the minute . . . but I think a "detent" at particular points could be arranged.
Depends on the specific tensioning method used to keep the pickup stationary between adjustments.

Upon the original post / thread point: The empty position, with any MM style pickup, should be in the ballpark for a P type tone. The nicest thing about a P tone, in my view, is that it can mean widely different things to different people. If you play with a MM style humbucker, or almost any other pickup in the "P zone" you should be on the right track.
IMHO if a Jazz can do it with the neck pickup (and get close enough with EQ) then your chances are pretty nice!

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll pass on the extreme engineering option :) Very happy with the Stingray pup but if I can fill the vacant hole with another MM pup and gain another tonal option as a side benefit, I think I'll go with that.

Edited by dincz