Why become a member? ×

Wooden 'instrument'

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1419276005' post='2638296']
Is it a [s]Balalika[/s] [s]Balaclava[/s] [s]Ballystringything[/s] Balalaika, I know it's a wooden instrument thing!
[/quote]

Nope, they are triangular-bodied. This seems to me to be a lute with only a single set of strings.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1419282071' post='2638390']
Nope, they are triangular-bodied. This seems to me to be a lute with only a single set of strings.
[/quote]

Lutes are fretted, aren't they? Gut frets rather than metal, wrapped round the neck.

Perhaps it's someone's first home-made oud. Where they went "right, time to make the soundhole. Let's drill a few holes and jigsaw it and HOW MANY STRINGS DID YOU SAY IT SHOULD HAVE? Oh sh*t".

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1419293916' post='2638563']
Lutes are fretted, aren't they? Gut frets rather than metal, wrapped round the neck.

[/quote]

I think originally they were scalloped and the ridges acted as frets.

EDIT: Spelling correction

Edited by Joeyfivebags

My understanding is that the lute is descended from the oud, yes. The name certainly is.

But I'm not honestly sure it's always possible to pin down antique-style instruments to specific categories anyway... so for me, this is a member of the oud/lute family (based on body shape, neck without integral frets, the steeply raked pegbox, etc.) and that's as far as I think I can go.

Edited by alyctes