Why become a member? ×

How on earth do you play in a Ska / Reggae style?

chriswareham

There are a couple of very good videos from Devon Bradshaw (Burning Spear), who explains/shows you some of the fundamentals. But you really need to live this music to play it.

http://youtu.be/zmyplWLwIKA

This is the first video which shows technique, and the 'kotch' (space)

I have to say that the better draws around here...i,e bands that can justify a
ticket price, are invaribly Ska bands as the number of old mods dust off their
Harringtons etc, go speeding :lol: and constantly turn out in impressive
numbers. I'd hate to do the gig but I admire the crowds they can get. :lol:

I'm not one for applying rules to music - more from the "if it sounds good and feels good, it IS good" school of thought.
However, my experience has taught me that there are a few little pointers that help make a reggae line really work:
- Simplicity. Reggae is a simple pulsating rhythmic style, and a simple repetitive hook works really well. Root and chord tones for the win.
- Space. As others have mentioned, it works best when you give the other noises space to do their thing. Listen to the groove and ask yourself what are the main defining parts? - maybe a certain hihat shuffle or rim hit, or vocal phrase. Then make sure you accentuate rather than diminish the impact of those parts. Often not playing is an effective way to do this.
- length of notes. This I related to the above. When jamming the groove, thing about the appropriate length of each note. For example, you can play the root on the one, but a short punchy note will have a very different feel to sustaining that note until an immediate cutoff when the guitar skank hits.

Also as per the above, you need to 'get' reggae by immersing yourself in it. Only when you really feel reggae will you get that euphoric "ahhhhhhh" feeling when your groove locks with the band.

Edited by Roland Rock

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1419022745' post='2635872']
Any recommendations gratefully appreciated. Stuff I'm familiar with and love includes Specials, Selector, Prince Buster, King Tubby and various stuff that Sly and Robbie have played on. For whatever reason, stuff that leaves me cold is Madness (apart from Night Boat To Cairo) and Bob Marley. I think I must be in good company when it comes to sharing this love of ska / reggae / dub stuff as it's also a big influence on people I admire like Killing Joke and Godflesh.
[/quote]
no criticism meant here, but please listen again to Bob Marley and The Wailers stuff - some great reggae bass lines. My faves incloude Rat Race, War, Night Shift, and straight forward stuff like Rastaman Live Up. I also really rate The Alpha Blondy and The Wailers album Jerusalem, bar the electronic drums that is...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing in a Reggae/Ska band for yonks. If it's Ska then mainly your playing Rock 'n' Roll Bass lines. For Reggae what you don't play is as important as what you do play, leave holes, particularly on the first beat of a bar (though not all the time) and don't be afraid to stop playing for a whole bar or 2 occasionally. Most important if you don't like Reggae or haven't heard much then you won't be able to make a decent fist of it.