Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hartke hydrive 410

kulabula

Had one for two years and very pleased with it - has a 3 way switch - off 1 2 - for the compression driver which is very bright - plenty of low end drive and mid punch - cab isn't light but what 410 is? But it is about as compact as you could make a 410 - the tolex covering is not the tuffest so will start showing scuff marks unless you use covers for transport - if you find a good used one at good price if say they are the best bang for your buck in that range

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1417888209' post='2624919']
Cool, cheers, was still good at 300 watts?
[/quote]
It should be. But don't try perceiving how loud the cab will go in relation to the watts it can handle. That's like trying to guess the top speed of a car based on MPG alone. :)
Look at the DB &/or SPL figures to get an idea of volume (volume is measured in decibels).

I've got a 410 and 115. I was a Hartke endorsee a few years back. The 410 is a fine cabinet; a belter. It's lightish, bright and zingy, no issues with low B strings. A while back I was looking to get shot of all my heavy gear, but have since had a rethink and the Hydrives are staying. The only negative point is the castors didn't seem to last that long and a compatible replacement set of four are like £40.00. Well, screw that. I just went to Screwfix and got a set that cost about £9.00.
P

[quote name='kulabula' timestamp='1417894238' post='2624964']
What's the 15" like?.
[/quote]

Same size, similar in weight. When daisy-chained together (with the 410), the 115 delivers a discernible amount of bottom/wobble, but in truth I don't really favour the 115 in isolation as it just doesn't have the output range to suit my tone. If you were looking at getting both cabs, I'd definitely say go for the 410 first and add the 115 later (if you actually think it's necessary); the 410 is more than enough and I only took both because they were available as part of my artist endorsement thingie!

Edited by NancyJohnson

As an addendum to my previous post, remember that the Hydrives have high-frequency horns in the enclosure - these can be switched off, halfway or full on.

I guess the point I was trying to get over (hell, it was late and I was tired), is that assuming the full frequency range of the 115 is represented numerically by 1-10 (where 1 is the lowest frequency), the main driver would operate from say 1-5 and the horn clicking in at 9-10. It's consequently disingenuous to say it's range is 1-10, when it will simply not deliver a range of frequencies that are outside of it's capabilities (viz. 6-8). Hopefully this makes sense.

The 410 however, pretty much handles whatever you want to throw at it and is an affordable, good all round enclosure. Adding the 115 just phattens out the tone.

Hope this helps.
P

Hi,

I have a Hydrive 410 cab coupled with an HA3500. Used extensively over the last 3 years and very pleased with the sound. I've had the cab rewired to 4 ohms to take advantage of the full 350 watt output and louder than I have ever needed. Tend not to use the tweeter as very bright in use. (3 way switch).

I'm playing in three very different style bands and between the amp and cab can get a very nice sound for toppy contemporary covers stuff, warm mellow sound 60's covers and large variety for 80's and 90's covers with my functions band stuff. I'm also using a Hartke boost / drive pedal (very good and under rated).

One driver blew quickly and was replaced under warranty. No problems since. Pretty bullet proof I think.

NickMK1

[quote name='NickMK1' timestamp='1417968582' post='2625556']
Hi,

I have a Hydrive 410 cab coupled with an HA3500. Used extensively over the last 3 years and very pleased with the sound. I've had the cab rewired to 4 ohms to take advantage of the full 350 watt output and louder than I have ever needed. Tend not to use the tweeter as very bright in use. (3 way switch).

I'm playing in three very different style bands and between the amp and cab can get a very nice sound for toppy contemporary covers stuff, warm mellow sound 60's covers and large variety for 80's and 90's covers with my functions band stuff. I'm also using a Hartke boost / drive pedal (very good and under rated).

One driver blew quickly and was replaced under warranty. No problems since. Pretty bullet proof I think.

NickMK1
[/quote]
Just a thought, but an 8 ohm cab can't be rewired to 4 ohms. It can be taken down to 2 ohms and a resistor used to bring it back to 4 ohms, but then half the power would be lost to the resistor.

I love my Hydrive 410. The external fittings (casters, feet and tolex) are quite flimsy, but tge cab itself will take anything I can throw at it. My SWR sm400 head can deliver a serious amount of bass and the hydrive copes with it admirably.

If you haven't tried any cabs out, go & do so.
Like you say, there's so many oh there. So find one that you like & if you find you need more volume, get another identical one.
If the cab doesn't have enough bass, adding a different cab isn't the way to go, so choose wisely. :)

I love my Barefaced stuff, but if Hartke decided to start producing lightweight 2x12" cabs, I'd be in. Love the tone of the HyDrive gear, they're just a bit big and bulky for me.
I had a nice chat with Larry Hartke last time I was back over in the States (he works part-time at Sam Ash in 48th St, NYC, a stone's throw from Times Square), and he's a top bloke, very genuine and interested in what people think of his gear.

Well I'm chuffed to bits, I've had an email from Barefaced to say that my supertwin will be ready in time for a very busy period. Phew. . A lot of worry over nothing. But thanks guys. I have played a friends Barefaced and it is beautiful. Huge sounding but still crystal clear.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1417957904' post='2625395']

The 410 however, pretty much handles whatever you want to throw at it and is an affordable, good all round enclosure. Adding the 115 just phattens out the tone.

[/quote]

+1

i use a vx115 with my 410 at the moment until i can afford the hydrive 115 - doesnt add much at all in the way of definition or clarity but it does give that extra bit of air moving right down the very low end (as well as sucking the full remaining power out of the head running it at 4 ohm instead of 8ohm with just the 410)