Why become a member? ×

Some Pratt on Jools Later just now thinking he's the dog's bollocks!

merello

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1415653623' post='2602473']
Anyone remember the Sue Ryder "craze" a few years ago? I know loads of people brought them but im convinced they were mostly unplayable. I tried 3 and felt they were terrible. Now these I can believe would hinder anyone, even me, and it's normally the other way around ;-)
[/quote]

I still use one of those regularly! :lol:

Nothing unplayable about those at all. I got three (I know, I got carried away :)). One is in bits, half stripped, as I wanted to do some experiments with it regarding finish and pickup combinations and haven't had the time/will to finish it. Another was converted to fretless, and it's pretty cool. I had a CIJ 70s re-issue fretless Fender Precision, and I preferred the Sue Ryder (DiMarzio Model P pickup). The other one has a Wizard Thumper and that's all I did to it, pretty much. That's the one I use frequently at home, I have gigged a few times with, and appears in a video of my band.

Unplayable?
I haven't found a truly unplayable instrument (or one that wasn't just a simple setup away) in ages... Uninspiring? Many. Not always cheap ones! But unplayable? Not the SR!
The necks were on the chunky side, even for a Precision... but not everybody wants slim Jazz necks, you know? I play better on bigger necks, and I play Jazz basses *despite* the necks, not because of them. ;)

If there was only one bass and one amp with one spec on the market , I'm pretty sure all players would still develop to the level we have , mark king, Jameson, jaco, Lemmy etc would still lead their particular style and I'd still be a chippy who plays in function bands

Same could be said for football boots , golf clubs and Bmx bikes

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1415653623' post='2602473']
Anyone remember the Sue Ryder "craze" a few years ago? I know loads of people brought them but im convinced they were mostly unplayable. I tried 3 and felt they were terrible. Now these I can believe would hinder anyone, even me, and it's normally the other way around ;-)
[/quote]

Yep..that was funny. Even Crack Converters don't sell them.
But those aside... some basses are digs with fleas, for sure.

I think the term unplayable is the problem I suppose in fairness if a particular bass stops a person being able to play a piece they can on a different bass then to them that bass is unplayable even if that music sounds like a load of frustrated guitarist noise, even the worst bass with a setup and proper strings would be able to be used for something making it playable in the strictest sense of the word.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415714707' post='2602943']
I think the term unplayable is the problem I suppose in fairness if a particular bass stops a person being able to play a piece they can on a different bass then to them that bass is unplayable even if that music sounds like a load of frustrated guitarist noise, even the worst bass with a setup and proper strings would be able to be used for something making it playable in the strictest sense of the word.
[/quote]

Ok...but who would want to do that...?
I did a jam night the other day and the 'house bass' was a DJ5 and it played ok... ( as I picked it up at the end of the evening after I asked the house bass player..) and I could busk a few standards on it, but these jams are boring for most except the gtr at the best of times,
so why would you want to do that under those circumstances..?? I wouldn't.. so you have to be able to make it interesting..?

But we are all different JTUK, your boring and easy line to the next person might be quite hard and rewarding for them, for most players that DJ5 would be a good enough instrument to not inhibit their playing, if its a jam you either play it and enjoy it or take your own single cut 37" scale 9 string half fretted half fretless next week :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1415407619' post='2600158']
Burgundy mist 64 with EMGs I think. But yes agreed - excellent. Bryan Ferry seems to be one of the few these days who has a band with a 'proper' bass sound rather than something from 50-60 yrs ago!!
[/quote]

This is a Fender signature bass I would be interested in!

Edited by jude_b

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415728467' post='2603158']
But we are all different JTUK, your boring and easy line to the next person might be quite hard and rewarding for them, for most players that DJ5 would be a good enough instrument to not inhibit their playing, if its a jam you either play it and enjoy it or take your own single cut 37" scale 9 string half fretted half fretless next week :D
[/quote]

So, I did. :lol: The bass player was most surprised I didn't want to use her bass. As it happens, I could have done all I needed to do on that bass
but the thing about jams is that you don't know what you will get asked to do...and you wont know the bass until you get called up.
I'll be doing a few more and just like a guitarist will take his gtr, then I'll take my bass...

The real problem was the Markbass rig, anyway... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415784451' post='2603649']
Surely not, lol
[/quote]

Yep.... surpried huh..?? :lol: I've always found them souless when I've had them thrown at me.... and I wasn't really able
to rework her EQ settings, even though I think she should have done that anyway. Nice player
but dull uninspiring sound. I've used them at rehearsals and at quiet volumes they sounded good to me
but they tended to lose that when turned up. Maybe I just need more time with them... but I'm not inclined
to seek that tbh... and I have class D covered anyway.
I've heard them sound great with one or two guys but mostly not.

Ive been using Markbass amps for years, and have to agree with you John. Thats not to say i dont like them, quite the opposite, but i find they need something in front of them to bring them to life, especially with a passive bass.

I do think the older heads like the SA and LMII series had more life than my F1, but i look on it more as a power amp that can be tweaked a bit rather than a tone shaping amp.

I played a Marlin Sidewinder for three years, with no awareness of the concept of a setup, and no awareness that 8mm action was a bad thing. I happily gigged it and even recorded with it.
I think that this may be why I've never regarded any subsequent bass to be 'unplayable'

Not sure what this has to do with GP :-D

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1415787064' post='2603675']
Ive been using Markbass amps for years, and have to agree with you John. Thats not to say i dont like them, quite the opposite, but i find they need something in front of them to bring them to life, especially with a passive bass.

I do think the older heads like the SA and LMII series had more life than my F1, but i look on it more as a power amp that can be tweaked a bit rather than a tone shaping amp.
[/quote]

Sure, Dave, it is no big deal to me as people have the sound they have for whatever reason....
I find them a tad sterile which is fine at quiet levels but louder they need tweaking and then they still sound 'hard'.
Don't doubt they are good amps, but not for me...
I prefer the PF500 to the LM11, tbh..at least that has a bit of personality even though it is pretty much a one trick..
but if that tricks is good, who needs anything else..?
I guess I'm trolling a bit about MB.. but then the guys probably know that.

I know what you mean.
Ive come to the conclusion that an amp that has a pretty neutral tone works for me.
I started a thread a few months ago that pretty much said i was bored with the MB tone and needed to liven things up a bit. I ended up realising that yes, its sterile but that give a nice clean canvas for some outboard gear. Now i use a Darkglass VMTD and i dont even notice the amps signature tone now.

I wonder how many people on here who admire Guy's playing would find his bass is 'unplayable'? Or anyone else for that matter.

Surely it's obvious that such a characteristic is only relevant for the person doing the playing? Reference has already been made to Jamerson's famously 'badly' set up bass and I can just imagine BCers coming across it in a pawn shop and thinking that such a pile of crap is not even worth a tenner :lol:

Makes 'signature' basses a bit of a joke doesn't it?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1415791066' post='2603747']
I played a Marlin Sidewinder for three years, with no awareness of the concept of a setup, and no awareness that 8mm action was a bad thing. I happily gigged it and even recorded with it.
I think that this may be why I've never regarded any subsequent bass to be 'unplayable'

Not sure what this has to do with GP :-D
[/quote]

Was that at the nut?

I'm pretty sure mine was at least 20mm at the 12th fret. :D

Having said that, I defretted it and put a few turns on the truss rod and it's quite a nice bass to play now.

Before I got back in to playing bass about 12 years ago, I don't remember ever having any preference to strings, action etc.
As I've got older I seem to have become more fussy. I put a lot of this down to BassWorld and then Basschat putting things in my head that have no need to be there lol.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1415797137' post='2603838']
I wonder how many people on here who admire Guy's playing would find his bass is 'unplayable'? Or anyone else for that matter.

Surely it's obvious that such a characteristic is only relevant for the person doing the playing? Reference has already been made to Jamerson's famously 'badly' set up bass and I can just imagine BCers coming across it in a pawn shop and thinking that such a pile of crap is not even worth a tenner :lol:

Makes 'signature' basses a bit of a joke doesn't it?
[/quote]
His bass is unplayable by all of us on here because we can't get our grubby mitts on it!

I've always wanted and needed a low action... and always been picky on strings for feel and touch.
Maybe I'm just picky.

Of course, it doesn't matter how anyone sets up a bass, ... but most people find mine easier to play that their own..
Makes me wonder why they don't set theirs up like that.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415816919' post='2604112']
We were too scared to touch the truss rod when we were young, some people still are I suppose?
[/quote]

It did take a half a can of 3in1 and a big monkey wrench.

But I got there in the end. :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415824487' post='2604251']
I've always wanted and needed a low action... and always been picky on strings for feel and touch.
Maybe I'm just picky.

Of course, it doesn't matter how anyone sets up a bass, ... but most people find mine easier to play that their own..
Makes me wonder why they don't set theirs up like that.
[/quote]

I think StingrayPete (and Dave_bass5) nailed it. The vast majority of people just play them off the shelf.

I wonder if pianists have the same conversations?

"The hammers are just too 'bouncy' on the Steinway for my liking."

Edited by TimR