Why become a member? ×

righty tighty, lefty loosey? not correct?

40hz

Just adjusted my Jazz Bass truss rod for more relief (so loosening) and I moved the rod counter clockwise, so to the right. That's not tightening the truss rod. Am I missing something here or just being unbelievably dumb? :D

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1415218088' post='2598084']
I moved the rod counter clockwise, so to the right.

Am I missing something here or just being unbelievably dumb? :D
[/quote]

Counter clockwise (12, 11, 10, 9 around the clock) is to the left, not the right.

'Left' and 'right' make no sense when describing a circular motion. Convention makes reference to the movements of the hands of a clock, hence 'clockwise', ie: moving in the same way as a clock's hands, and 'counter-clockwise', meaning the reverse rotation to that of a clock's hands.
To tighten a TR, one would turn clockwise. This will tend towards 'backbow', and less 'relief. To loosen a TR, one would turn counter-clockwise, thus allowing the strings to pull the headstock upwards, giving more 'bow', and more 'relief'
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1415219700' post='2598113']
'Left' and 'right' make no sense when describing a circular motion.[/quote]

Dead right! As rules go, this is as bad as they get. It only works if you're looking at the head of the screw. I'd guess most of us know which way to turn a screw to tighten it, so all you have to remember is that you're tightening something that counteracts string tension.

Cheers guys! I guess it does make sense in that the motion of the circle is to the left. Still. It confused me momentarily. I think it was the fact my allen key moved to the right that confused my work tired brain! :D

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1415221605' post='2598162']
If you drive just remember that counter clockwise on a steering wheel turns a car to the left, clockwise steers a car to the right. :)
[/quote]

Sometimes. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]http://youtu.be/J-tSjhsgla8[/size]

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1415220954' post='2598147']
Dead right! As rules go, this is as bad as they get. It only works if you're looking at the head of the screw. I'd guess most of us know which way to turn a screw to tighten it, so all you have to remember is that you're tightening something that counteracts string tension.
[/quote]
And only if you're looking at the top of the screw!.
When I last checked making the top of the screw go to the left (ie counterclockwise) makes the bottom of the screw go to the right (i.e. still counter clockwise)

At the the end of the day its a standard (I.e. right hand) screw thread, you shouldn't need a rhyme to remember it.