Why become a member? ×

Fake JV Jazz?

2x18

I own a one of these with a much lower serial number. My points of suspicion would be:

Mine doesn't have "Made in Japan" decal on the back of the neck.
The scratchplate on the bottom horn looks much more pointy than mine.
The headstock decal is wrong, but then again could have been changed.

I'm always cr*p at these "is it genuine or not" threads, but I'd guess "not" in this case. Watch me get totally proved wrong now :lol:

There's been a few on eBay recently - many for sale from Europe, they all have JV serials and the 'made in Japan' decal at the heel. They aren't JV Squiers however but they appear to be Fender 'Japanese Vintage'. I wonder if these were 'non export' models?
I've heard of non Squiers having JV serials before. The early 80's was a period where the Japanese luthiers were producing superb replicas at a very reasonable price and having the licence to produce genuine Fender logo'd products must have been fantastic for their domestic market. The very first original JV Squiers had the Fender logo with a small 'Squier' decal and 'made in Japan' on the headstock fascia. Only a few months later it was a large Squier logo with a small 'by Fender' - The JV Squiers were made for a very short period and to many regarded as the 'Pre CBS' of Japanese Fenders.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1415128513' post='2597054']
Yes I've seen those decals too! ;)
Here's some info about domestic JVs from 21 Frets -

[url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/domesticjv.htm"]http://www.21frets.c.../domesticjv.htm[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks for the link - interesting though, scroll to the bottom of the page & there's a J headstock with the same decals as the Ebay one. No MIJ label.

And - on [url="http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jv_quick_guide.htm"]this page[/url], discussing "second issue decal" guitars there's this:

[quote]Another very sought after domestic model, especially the first JV0xxxx guitars. During mid 1983 the decal style changed to a slightly smaller and less bold script (as per the original pre-CBS decals), the 'Made in Japan' designation also moved to the back of the neck where it meets the body. [/quote]

So maybe it's real after all. I think I'd want to see electrics/neck pocket etc though.

J.

• 1 month later...