Why become a member? ×

Are you a music snob?

xgsjx

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1414495179' post='2589763']
Like the BBC used to be... [url="http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s10e05_the_silver_dubloons"]http://www.thegoonsh...silver_dubloons[/url]
[/quote]

Fantastic, love the Goons... genius. :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1414492014' post='2589712']
A bit like classical music? :D
[/quote]
My fave electronic classical musician is J M Jarre, though I'd class a lot of stuff like Tangerine Dream & Vangelis as classical score. It's just not played on traditional classical instruments.

A bit of Bach on bass is fun, even if you're not into classical music.

I listen to nearly any kind of music.
I'm rather snobbish when it comes to some more non-mainstream stuff - I sometimes consider it as "too good for most" :P

My sweetheart, on the other hand.... she's a snob. Never would she listen to hip-hop, it's even hard to convince her to some rock stuff I like. At least she likes many bands as much as I do, like Judas Priest, AC/DC or ZZ Top, but still...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1414437424' post='2589288']
Well i did say talent comes in many forms. One of them could be maybe be having the right look or image or being in the right place at the right time.
And there are millions of others who if in the right place could do a whole lot better.

As for Mr Cowell he has some talent however i see him is more a cog in the machine. Its takes writers, produces, a whole host of various management and marketing to come with the rubbish they will and be able to flog it so well. But i think you could swap out many of there singers or various other "artists" with millions of others and get the same result.

The culture of modern celebrity has made it possible now for people who wouldn't of got anywhere in life to get to the top.
[/quote]
Good post!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1414436539' post='2589276']
I like both the old & the new RnB
For all who haven't taken time to listen to decent modern RnB, may I suggest this...

[/quote]

I'd suggest that was something we called jazz funk in the late 80s. Wikipedia claims it's 'neo soul' or 'funk'.

It's ok for a minute or two.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1414537103' post='2590540']
I'd suggest that was something we called jazz funk in the late 80s. Wikipedia claims it's 'neo soul' or 'funk'.

It's ok for a minute or two.
[/quote]
Most modern RnB is probably better described as Neo Soul as it's more a mix of Soul & Funk, a small amount of Blues & plenty of Rhythm. :)