Why become a member? ×

Selling a bass for more than you thought reasonable

Grangur

This thread is, like others on here, inspired by another thread. I just wondered if this has happened often.

When I'm selling a bass on ebay I normally start it off at 99p and run it for a week from Sunday. This attracts attention to the bargain-hunters and you get a good audience over the weekend... not rocket science. Many do the same I'm sure.

I believe most things find their "true" value. I've seldom sold anything and been disappointed. With the number of folk looking nothing on there goes as a real bargain unless its on the Isle of Skye on "collect only". I was once embarrassed even when I sold a real cr@p bass from the 70s. I'd had it in the loft for years. It was a Jap crap short-scale branded Eros.

I'd googled it and found they were from Matsumoku. It was still crap. It sold for about £120. The new owner was messaging me that he was going to use it on an album... :o He was even going to send me a copy (he never did).

Sometimes you win. :)

Actually, if he'd swapped out the pup it could have been a really good bass, if you want a short-scale.

What other "wins" have others had?

Edited by Grangur

The oppsosite was true for me. Put a warwick 115 cab and an ashdown 115 cab on ebay both at 99p. Got £35 for the warwick and £7, yes seven quid, for the ashdown (don't anybody get smart and say they was robbed!)
Never again, always a set price, it usually goes eventually.
Saying that i once got £300 for a rubbish pair of TOA PA speakers and the guy never showed up for them! so swings and roundabouts, karma etc..

I have an amp for sale on Ebay at the moment, I have listed at £100 start price I have been offered £500 in PX from PMT but they don't have the amp I want, I will withdraw it from Ebay on Saturday evening if it hasn't attracted any bids, I can't run the risk of it fetching nothing, I sold a Peavey Firebass head and Peavey Black window loaded 4x10 and 1x15 stack a couple of years back, the amp was basically new...I let it run thinking it would hit the £500 mark in the last few minutes...it didn't and I ended up getting £220 for the lot...the guy who collected it said it was the best bargain he had ever got....so I don't think it is necessarily true that items find their true value

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1413214586' post='2575918']
It's worse than that. It's just called "Skye" I believe.
[/quote]

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1413194524' post='2575588']

...unless its on the Isle of [s]Skye[/s] Man on "collect only".

[/quote]

Fixed. Damn you all!! I wish I'd never asked. :angry:

:P

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1413216360' post='2575946']
I have an amp for sale on Ebay at the moment, I have listed at £100 start price I have been offered £500 in PX from PMT but they don't have the amp I want, I will withdraw it from Ebay on Saturday evening if it hasn't attracted any bids, I can't run the risk of it fetching nothing, I sold a Peavey Firebass head and Peavey Black window loaded 4x10 and 1x15 stack a couple of years back, the amp was basically new...I let it run thinking it would hit the £500 mark in the last few minutes...it didn't and I ended up getting £220 for the lot...the guy who collected it said it was the best bargain he had ever got....so I don't think it is necessarily true that items find their true value
[/quote] Hmm... yeah. It looks like it's a dangerous assumption when selling amps.

I've always found bass guitars are safe.... until someone else tells us another horror story.

(Mods - please lock this thread :P )

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1413216723' post='2575949']
I've always found bass guitars are safe.... until someone else tells us another horror story.
[/quote]

My Peavey Grind 6 - bought for £210, put it on at £125 and it got just the one bid.

There was a 5 string Peavey Foundation on ebay and I think I was the only bidder.The seller said the neck was out of line
so that might have affected things. Paid £51 for it then gifted the seller another £25 which was still too little.

Favourite one was, yes another Peavey :) ,this time a Grind. Seller had no reserve and it was starting at £50. Emailed him
to say it was a Vietnamese model and he should mention that in the listing then posted here about it.

Day of sale bumped the thread again and while a few of us were discussing the merits of Peaveys it shot up to £161.
Don't know if us talking helped his sale but I'd like to think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sold loads of musical gear on eBay and always start at 99p. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but overall I seem to win. I have sold several amp for much more than I paid, but ended up selling some guitars/ basses for a loss. Just depends on the day. I once bought a Matsumoku Aria guitar for a pittance(£60 odd),cleaned it and put it back on an got £250, then the guy added a new hardcase and sold it a couple of weeks later for £370. I did feel a bit sorry for the original seller...

I bought a Westone Spectrum with a spare fretless neck off ebay. Flight case included. only wanted the matching necks for a project. Paid £84.00 for it.

When it arrived I took the fretted neck off, put the body on my office floor, took a couple of pics and listed it on ebay, 99p no reserve.

7 days later auction ends, the body sold for £135.00

You win some.