Why become a member? ×

Upside down bass stringing

Black Coffee

The reason Andy McCluskey plays "upside down" is because the only bass he could afford when learning, was a left hander which he played like a right hander. After he could afford a right handed bass, he was so used to playing the left hander that he strung it upside down.

I think I remember him saying that he felt that having the E string on the bottom (or top?) made it better to play.

Ooops! Beaten to it by ET. That will teach me to read all the posts... :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by jezzaboy

Lefties are rare by comparison, generally more expensive and the available variety of guitars is greatly reduced.

Part of hendrix's tone was down to the orientation of the pick-ups relative to the string, particularly the slanted bridge pick up on a stratocaster. The closer a pole piece is to the bridge, generally the brighter the sound will be so stringing upside down on a strat will pick up close to the bridge on the bass side and further from the bridge on the treble side.

As for reasons of technique, I can't think of anything right now.

Edited by Bradwell

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412015428' post='2564918']
Ah you have solved my quest,I knew one must exist! Are there any more? I can only see that they must have picked up a lefty bass or guitar when starting.
[/quote]

Not exactly the same, but I know a right-handed drummer who plays a left handed kit.

• 2 months later...

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've started looking out for the "other" definition of upside down, where you put the bridge on the headstock and the tuners by the control knobs ... [/font][/color]
[/quote]

This was close as i could find....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-eY92vw9qI

My daughter is right-handed but plays guitars as a leftie. No idea why! As I'm right-handed the strings are the usual way around. But - she likes the E at the bottom as she says this is logical - the lowest string at the bottom and the highest string at the top. Can't really argue with that logic! I tried...