Why become a member? ×

Tutorials (books,DVD's etc)...how many have you ?

Coilte

[size=4]While sorting through my bass books the other evening, it occurred to me that I have way more than I need. At a rough guess, between DVD's and books, I'd say I have about thirty (with one in the post [/size] :rolleyes:[size=4] ).[/size]
[size=4]I'm sure that if I picked out two or three and worked on those, they would cover all my needs. It is just that sometimes I read a review, or someone on a forum recommends it, and I end up getting it.[/size]

I suppose this type of gas is at least cheaper than that for a bass or amp etc., but when you do the sums, thirty books at say £16 each works out at £480. So "cheaper" seems like a misnomer.

[size=4]Just curious how many others are in the same boat ? [/size]

[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

Just a quick count of what's in view at the moment, works out to around 20 dvds and about 60 books. I've got more books in another room and a load of VHS too, not to mention loads of magazines.
Its quite a lot but its maybe a quarter of the amount of drum books/videos/magazines that my dad has.

My name is Dad3353, and I'm a bookaholic. ([i]Waits for, and gets, a welcoming "Good evening, Dad3353..."[/i]...)

Not only bass; there's guitar and drums, too. I've even some for keys, and double bass, plus the purely theory books. If I include the non-physical ebooks, I've several hundred, I'm sure. An exact count would be difficult, as they're rather dispersed over several rooms, racks, cupboards, bookcases, CDs, DVDs and hard drives. No, I've not applied all the exercises from all the books in all the subjects, but I've read them all, at least once on arrival, and several, several times. I started with Mickey Baker for Jazz guitar 50 years ago, and haven't looked back. Even good old Bert Weedon got a look-in (and his 'Tune a Day' still stands up as a tutorial method..!).
I've gleaned something from each, even if I don't/can't/will never play in that style; 'slap' comes to mind. I can't execute it, but I learned something in reading about how it's done, and, imo, can better appreciate the exponents of the genre as a consequence. Few of my large 'collection' overlap entirely; it would appear that every author has his or her individual way of teaching, which makes each method unique, and (mostly...) valuable.
Don't get me started on jazz 'real books', though...

Thanks for the input lads. So far it looks like I am at the lower level, collection wise. :)[size=4] [/size]

While I have actually worked my way through them all, I often find myself picking one out and delving in
again, only to find something new or over looked previously.