Why become a member? ×

A little more grit from a T.E V-Type all tube head.

Catalin

Hello guys !

I just got a T.E V-Type all tube head (220w) I'm very happy with it but i want more grit/drive. I can get some grit but i have to push volume knob past 3 o'clock and gain past 2 - that's too loud for medium-small gigs.
What pedal can you recommend me? I want a low gain overdrive -no fuzz at all. I want the pedal to sound as natural as possible - like overdrived power tubes.
I am thinking at: EBS valve drive, Fulltone bass drive, MXR M80, Tech21 VT
Can anyone give me a link to some sound samples of Ebs valve drive? I can't find anywhere.
The tone i am looking for is like this:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ubQ9uTrEQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ubQ9uTrEQ[/url] - starting from second 25
Thank you !

Do you have the V4 head mate? If so, I'm a bit surprised that you don't have 2 channels and a preamp gain and preamp volume on the second channel. I've been well impressed with the rawness of the Danelectro FAB tone pedal. I'm not sure if thats the kind of grit you're after though.

This is the older V-Type head, single channel, isn't it? (Spoken to you about it on TB!)

What bass do you have? Do you plug into the passive input? I get loads of grit from my V-Types (same preamp) by plugigng active basses into the passive input.

Otherwise a pedal is the best way to go :)

Mert :huh:

[quote name='Merton' post='249372' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:30 AM']This is the older V-Type head, single channel, isn't it? (Spoken to you about it on TB!)

What bass do you have? Do you plug into the passive input? I get loads of grit from my V-Types (same preamp) by plugigng active basses into the passive input.

Otherwise a pedal is the best way to go :)

Mert :huh:[/quote]
Hello Merton !
I have a Warwick Streamer LX5 and i plug it into the passive input :huh: If i plug the bass into the active input i get weak overall volume.

Edited by Catalin

Ever tried a Zvex SHO into a pre-amp valve Kev? You should!

To be fair, I never have, but the wah probe has a SHO built in apparently, so I tried the whammy with my foot always on it with the gain fully cranked, going into DHA bob the blender without the blend, and it sounds wrather bwrutal!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='249710' date='Jul 28 2008, 04:06 PM']nah havnt, bit too expensive for me i think, i cant see why a mxr micro amp wouldnt do the same job[/quote]

Good point.

There has to be a reason that more than one successful/popular kind of booster pedal exists though.

[quote name='Merton' post='249393' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:45 AM']Crank the gain all the way up :)[/quote]

+ the 1

isn't that what you're meant to do with valve amps? :huh: - overdrive the pre valves to give a nice warm valve growl. That's what i used to do with my Ampeg anyway, and it sounded proper bo' I tell thee.

The problem is that even if i put the gain to maximum i still don't get the drive i want - it just changes the sound: i get more punch If i put the gain to max. should i get drive even if i don't turn the master very loud?

Edited by Catalin

[quote name='Catalin' post='249924' date='Jul 28 2008, 08:38 PM']The problem is that even if i put the gain to maximum i still don't get the drive i want - it just changes the sound: i get more punch If i put the gain to max. should i get drive even if i don't turn the master very loud?[/quote]

Depends how loud your bass is and how hard you play.
Have you actually looked into the Zvex SHO as mentioned earlier? I have also heard really good things about it for exactly this use.

[quote name='Catalin' post='249924' date='Jul 28 2008, 08:38 PM']The problem is that even if i put the gain to maximum i still don't get the drive i want - it just changes the sound: i get more punch If i put the gain to max. should i get drive even if i don't turn the master very loud?[/quote]

A lot of valve amps sound better when they’re cranked a bit (the master volume is up at gigging level), but turning up the pre gain actually overdrives the pre valves so your whole sound is slightly overdriven/gritty, which some people really like. In most circumstances, cranking up the ‘Gain’ to overdrive the pre amp valves gives a nice* warm and slightly overdriven valve sound. That overdriven sound should be there at all master volume levels, but as I said before, a lot of valve amps sound better when they’re running at higher levels. If you’re not getting enough of an overdriven sound by cranking the gain, or it’s not the sound you’re after, then that ZVex pedal looks like it could be worth a go.I’ve got no experience with anything like that so I couldn’t say for sure what it does to the sound, but just from reading the stuff on the site, it looks like it could do what I think you might be looking for.

*It’s down to personal preference. I like a very slightly overdriven pre valve sound, some people like it totally clean.

I have a Trace V4 which also has 4 KT88s in the power stage (the pre-amp is a bit different though) and part of the reason I love it is because it doesn't break up or sound gritty. I think the character of the amplifier is creamy and rich rather than spicy and raw.

I think therefore the best option would be a pedal of some sort (though I have no idea what, I don't really do that sound). I tried a different valve or two in the second gain stage of my trace (which is switchable) out of interest and didn't find much difference.

Cheers
ped

yeah maybe a revalve like ped sugests is a better idea than buying a pedal. As for smooth overdrive the Barber LTD is popular for that. I use a Mojo hand cream pie but there discontinuedso they wil be hard to find. have a look here for all kind of pedal fuun [url="http://www.tonefactor.com/"]http://www.tonefactor.com/[/url]

[quote name='umph' post='249449' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:04 AM']tried a power attenuator? can crank the power amp as hard as you want then and keep it at okay volumes![/quote]

+1

The thd hotplate and marshall powerbreak spring to mind