Sign in to follow this  
budget bassist

CNC self build bass and/or guitar

I also stripped the neck and refinished with a single coat of tung oil - it's come out really nice. A sort of soft matte finish, nicer than the poly satin finish that was on there before.Looks a bit more natural.

[attachment=172907:IMG_4395.jpg]

[attachment=172908:IMG_4396.jpg]

I also drilled the hole for the side-mount jack and countersunk it, though I won't post photos as it's not hugely interesting. I'm just waiting for the black dye to turn up now so I can get on with finishing it. I also have some maple on order for the neck.

Edited by budget bassist

I've been messing about with finishes for the last couple of weeks, hence the radio silence. I couldn't get the stains to work right, the ash was just really porous and wouldn't soak it up, even with grain filler on there, so I gave up for now. I'll be experimenting with it some more though for sure, I'd like to get a decent stained finish done at some point.

So here's where I am now, filled the grain with black filler, to make it 'pop', as you can see, and then just put a coat of tung oil on there. I think it looks awesome! I'll probably put a few more coats of oil on and call it done. There are some light marks though that I couldn't see before the oil went on, so I'm tempted to sand it back and get it perfect, even though they'll be mostly obscured... I'll decide tomorrow.

This has been a while coming, it's not 100% finished - electronics need work, and I'd like to have matching hardware at some point, when funds allow! I also need to make my own neck, that's getting there, I need to start machining it though. Maybe in a week or two.

I have the thing built with the OLP neck anyway, and it plays pretty nice, though it could do with a proper set up.

Haha, it looked fine in solidworks, realised I had over-done it a bit though once I had it fitted! No matter though, took all of 30 seconds on the laser cutter, I can just do another :)

[quote name='88reaper88' timestamp='1420943908' post='2655401']
Just an idea; Why not fibreglass the polystyrene body and actually use that? Might be an interesting experiment tone-wise :)
[/quote]
Interesting idea, might be worth a try! Almost seems a shame to have 'wasted' all that machining time on it.

This has really been on the back-burner due to not having any money and/or time. I've tried a few prototype necks, but none have worked out. I should have better access to a router again soon I'm hoping and can continue this project. But as I say, time and money are a factor, and I'm trying to spend as much time as I can at the moment earning. That said, I have a few other projects going on concerning CNC/advanced manufacturing, and if anyone is interested in these, I would be happy to post a few of the less IP-sensitive details, though I am trying to keep a lot of it under wraps at the moment.

That being said, I've just agreed to play a gig for a reggae covers band later this month, so this thing really HAS to be finished. I've ordered a very cheap chinese 3 band pre for it, and if that doesn't arrive in time, I'm just going to wire pickup to jack.

Edited by budget bassist