Why become a member? ×

CNC self build bass

budget bassist

I've decided, that after learning to use CAD software for my masters, and being involved with the setting up of the Fab Lab here in Bangor, that I want to CNC a bass and/or guitar.

For those of you that are unaware, Fab Lab is a digitial fabrication lab accreditation by MIT - basically it's a standard list of equipment enabling people to "make almost anything". i think the list is a cnc mill, cnc router, 3d printer, vinyl plotter, laser cutter, and perhaps some soldering bits etc. They're usually free to the public to use, only charging for materials (some charge for machine time, but not much), and it's an awesome idea. I'd recommend anyone get involved! I think there are about 16 scattered around the country.

Anyway, I've made a couple of simple CAD models of bodies, one for a guitar, one for a bass. I'm going to start with the body because by all accounts, that seems the easiest bit to do. I've got a donor bass and guitar (well, I borrowed the guitar), I'll probably start with the bass if I can.

I'm off to the Ellesmere port Fab Lab tomorrow to test out my files on either some polystyrene board or tooling board, just to get an idea of the process, flipping the body over etc. and make sure dimensions such as neck pocket etc. are correct before taking to some nice wood.

Here's of render of the guitar body, I forgot to render the bass, but it's essentially a stingray copy.

[attachment=170435:les paul render 2.JPG]

I'm also thinking about building my own cab (or cabs?!), I'm looking at some dimensions etc. and I'm planning on designing them in CAD and CNC routing the panels out as well, partly because my woodworking skills aren't amazing, and partly because I just enjoy doing it that way and have access to the tools to do it, so why not?!

Edited by budget bassist

Haha yep, there is one in manchester - near enough identical, but the manchester one has embroidery machines. They're awesome for prototyping - they have business rates too, but the public days are thursday-saturday. The world is your oyster ;)

One lad in the ellesmere port fablab had made himself a daft punk mask for his band, looked really good! Did CAD in sketchup, then CNC'd it in wax, cast a silicone mould over it, and then cast it in plastic (the fablab has casting/moulding equipment too). So cool!

I'm currently sat watching the router go over the roughing pass of the guitar body in polystyrene. I was going to try the bass, but there are some slight issues with the CAD file that need sorting, but I have plenty of polystyrene to do that at a later date. It's a long old process, so it's going to take around 6 hours just to do the rear of the thing - the front may be a little quicker, but I won't get it done today. Anyway, here's a photo.

Edited by budget bassist

Pretty much, it takes a lot of passes as it only goes down 3mm each time, and you need to do a roughing pass (I'm using a 6mm bit) to get the basic shape cut, which takes a couple of hours, and then the finishing pass (using a 3mm bit here) which is going to take about four hours. To do the whole thing with a 3mm bit would take forever, and to use a 6mm for the whole thing would just end up with a crap finish, so you need to do two passes really. Then it needs flipping over and doing the other side. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to get the time down a little though, that's something I need to look into. Obviously it helps to have the right thickness of material so that you're not just wasting time taking material off (This polystyrene is 5.5mm thicker than necessary so the first couple of passes on the other side will be just material removal).

Cutting flat pieces of wood e.g. for my speaker cab is much faster, as it's far less detailed.

Edited by budget bassist

I've never done anything like CNC design/programming but is there any way to limit the areas that the routing head travels to? It's removing a lot of material from areas that could be ignored if there was some way to confine the routing head to only take out material near to the outline of the body.

When you tell it to rout out something like the electronics cavity or the cavity for the pickup selector switch you're telling it to create a hole. I suppose you could create a hole/channel that's effectively defining the outline of the body... so with the model, create the outline of the body, duplicate that outline but increased in size by 5% and then get the router to take material out from there only?

More progress:

[attachment=170470:image.jpg]

The photo isn't great, but you can see it's doing the finishing pass here, it's basically doing diagonal lines across the body putting in the small details - have a look at the control cavity if you're struggling to see it. This is the long part!

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1409402886' post='2539373'] When you tell it to rout out something like the electronics cavity or the cavity for the pickup selector switch you're telling it to create a hole. I suppose you could create a hole/channel that's effectively defining the outline of the body... so with the model, create the outline of the body, duplicate that outline but increased in size by 5% and then get the router to take material out from there only? [/quote]

sounds a lot simpler than my thoughts on things, which would be to re-define the area of material being removed so you are not wasting time removing material from the square corners.

Fab lab sounds a fair bit like the various hack spaces that sprung up around the place a couple of years ago - think my local fab lab is Keighley. Must make enquiries.

I just spent the morning finishing off the Stingray body, making sure all the dimensions were correct, neatening it up and adding the stomach contour and control cavity route etc. Just rendered it, and I know the body shape is a little off, but I kind of like it! It's not going to have a pickguard by the way, and the control cavity, as you can see, is rear route. So it's not really a traditional stingray. In fact I'm tempted to have another fiddle with the body shape and make it more sterling-y.

[attachment=170701:stingray 2.JPG]

[attachment=170700:stingray.JPG]

[attachment=170702:stingra back.JPG]