Why become a member? ×

Atlansia Solitaire

You don't see many of these for sale. I have no idea how much these should go for, but with a new one being £581 + p&p + duty/import costs, this would be cheaper than new.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atlansia-Solitaire-Single-String-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-With-Gigbag-/191277015866?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c88ffa33a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c88ffa33a[/url]

EDIT: Forumite selling bass on ebay alert!

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1407581227' post='2521950']
Why should this be worthy of attention?
[/quote]

Because the way these things usually go are.

"Oh my God that's a piece of crap, can't believe how much they are asking"

*Realises it's a BCer"

"Well it's not that bad I didn't see how good the wood grain was before"

Saves embarrassment.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1407583577' post='2521997']
To be fair, it is a ridiculous looking thing! Though it could be argued it's all a bass player really needs ;)
[/quote]

Depends what genre you're playing. For country and for disco, you'd need a two-string - for country tuned to root and 5th, and for disco tuned in octaves.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1407587878' post='2522064']
Depends what genre you're playing. For country and for disco, you'd need a two-string - for country tuned to root and 5th, and for disco tuned in octaves.
[/quote]

I think that Atlansia does make a two string bass.

If I ever built myself a bass, it would be like a fretless Solitaire.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1407581227' post='2521950'] Why should this be worthy of attention? [/quote]

Slightly delayed reaction to this one. But in cases in the past when I haven't pointed out that an ebay listing is by a forumite, then people have posted to say so. There is clearly interest in which listings are by forumites. Also, we can look through past postings to see what you've said about said instrument before you decided to sell it. In one past case, I found that there was an ebay listing singing the praises of an instrument, but past postings expressing disappointment. (This wasn't you :) ).

For your current listing, knowing that it's your sale means that we can avoid making smart comments about your listing, such as ruminating on whether you've obviously spent your money on your basses rather than on your carpets, without the risk of having to then meet you in person at some future bass bash or somewhere.

<returning to topic>
Do the solitaire and dualist basses have truss rods?

EDIT: Is that a truss rod in the open groove at the back of the bass?

Edited by Annoying Twit

Yes there is a thin rod in an open groove at the back of the bass that could function like a truss rod. However since the neck/body is essentially a 40mm square section of rock maple and there's only a single string on it I can't see much point for a truss rod. Certainly I've never needed to adjust it.

Regarding the listing, being paranoid I thought it was going to be more of a "why are you listing on eBay when you are better off listing here on Basscahat?" type of thing, to which I would reply - I get a bigger potential market on eBay and AFAIK only one of the basses that I've sold there has gone to someone who was also a member here.

And on the subject of carpets, they are the ones that were fitted when I bought the flat. I've seen no reason the change them so far. However I can always do with a new bass...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1408113055' post='2527275']
And on the subject of carpets, they are the ones that were fitted when I bought the flat. I've seen no reason the change them so far. However I can always do with a new bass...
[/quote]

I could have a white carpet full of cigarette burns and red wine stains, with bits of mozarella cheese trodden in and I'd still hold back replacing it if there was a nice bass that I wanted :gas:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1408113055' post='2527275']
Yes there is a thin rod in an open groove at the back of the bass that could function like a truss rod. However since the neck/body is essentially a 40mm square section of rock maple and there's only a single string on it I can't see much point for a truss rod. Certainly I've never needed to adjust it.

Regarding the listing, being paranoid I thought it was going to be more of a "why are you listing on eBay when you are better off listing here on Basscahat?" type of thing, to which I would reply - I get a bigger potential market on eBay and AFAIK only one of the basses that I've sold there has gone to someone who was also a member here.
[/quote]
I've lusted after a Atlansia Stealth 2-string bass for sometime. They make some lovely basses.

On the subject of selling basses i've had much more success on ebay than on BC. I've sold a good few 60s and 70s basses on ebay over the years that have even been commented on in this very section of BC. Usually negative of course but they have all sold on ebay. The only basses i've sold on here are the run of the mill stuff as anything out of the ordinary always draws a blank.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408121463' post='2527377']
On the subject of selling basses i've had much more success on ebay than on BC. I've sold a good few 60s and 70s basses on ebay over the years that have even been commented on in this very section of BC. Usually negative of course but they have all sold on ebay. The only basses i've sold on here are the run of the mill stuff as anything out of the ordinary always draws a blank.
[/quote]

I've sold one bass on this site and that was a very conventional Squier VM Fretless Jazz. Even then I had to endure several months of time wasters and "tyre kickers" before it sold. Judging from the average response here and when I've posted about basses I own elsewhere on Basschat, eBay has a far more receptive audience for what I'm selling.

The thing about That Ebay is that if you're willing to take a risk and put on a low start price (and aren't terribly bothered by losing a bit of money), you know it'll sell in ten days (or less), so for the cheaper end of the market it's not a bad thing.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1408276884' post='2528499']
The thing about That Ebay is that if you're willing to take a risk and put on a low start price (and aren't terribly bothered by losing a bit of money), you know it'll sell in ten days (or less), so for the cheaper end of the market it's not a bad thing.
[/quote]
Yes but you don't have to start it at a low price or list for 10 days. There are various methods of listing an item included a fixed price or auction with a reserve.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408290504' post='2528662']
Yes but you don't have to start it at a low price or list for 10 days. There are various methods of listing an item included a fixed price or auction with a reserve.
[/quote]

I realise that, but if you want to be guaranteed of selling it, you can do it on That Ebay by not having a reserve and not having a high start price or fixed price (and I said "ten days (or less)" precisely because you can list it for less than 10 days). You can do it on here too, but you have to have an auction in the opposite direction, keep on dropping the price until someone bites.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1408352832' post='2529165']
You can do it on here too, but you have to have an auction in the opposite direction, keep on dropping the price until someone bites.
[/quote]
I think that what is a big problem of selling on here is exactly that. 'Buyers' on here seem to think that when a bass is listed the price is just a starter and that it will go down and down until it sells. When i sell something the price i list it at the the price i want for it. Not two-thirds or half the listed price. I don't mind dropping a few quid but some offers i've had on here are just silly. In fact i don't even answer them if they are that ridiculous. I've had much better results with fixed price listings on ebay that i have on here.

The strangest thing with eBay is that dropping the price can result in a bidding frenzy that actually pushes the final sale over the amount that no-one was interested in before!

I've had a couple of items listed at £10-£20 with seemingly no interest that went for far more when relisted a £1.00

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408360749' post='2529287']
I think that what is a big problem of selling on here is exactly that. 'Buyers' on here seem to think that when a bass is listed the price is just a starter and that it will go down and down until it sells.
[/quote]

I did once suggest to someone that they keep putting the price up, then anyone who wanted it would have to get in as soon as possible...