Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Building a Jazz Bass - The Result.

Thor

Hi All,

I've just started to source some parts to build a Jazz Bass and I fancy a maple neck with MOP/Pearloid blocks and white binding (similar to Marcus Miller specs but without the signature) - would anyone know if Mighty Mite supply a Jazz neck with pearloid blocks and white binding?

I've had a good look around on google and can't seem to find one?

I guess the alternative would be to order a Warmouth neck but the cost seems a tad eye watering - having recently built a P with the Mighty Mite neck I was very impressed by the quality particularly given the price.

Or if anyone has used another brand of neck I may not be aware of? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Edited by Thor

I guess this too might be eye watering:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/jazz-bass-maple-neck-unfinished-black-block-inlays-and-binding-8147-p.asp

WD are a good supplier, bit I can't say their necks are cheap. At least you won't be hit for import costs on top.

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1406931497' post='2516112']
Custom world guitar parts do one. Theyre in the Netherlands. Never seen one, but pictures look good
[/quote]

I was looking for exactly the same thing for my build last month, and nearly pulled the trigger on one of these on their eBay listing - they seem not to be listing at the moment. Looked excellent, other than non-authentically having a separate board. Worked out around £100 incl shipping, so comparable to Mighty Mite (who only do dot markers?)

If you could live with rosewood these look good value: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Fret-Jazz-J-Bass-Guitar-Neck-Vintage-Maple-Rosewood-with-Skunk-Stripe-/261511242840?pt=UK_Collectables_Vintage_RL&hash=item3ce348e458

I ended up shelling out a fair bit more for a genuine '78 Fender neck from the States in maple / pearl blocks - still worked out cheaper than a new '75 RI neck from Stratosphere (going on a AVRI '75 body)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1406964220' post='2516210']
I was looking for exactly the same thing for my build last month, and nearly pulled the trigger on one of these on their eBay listing - they seem not to be listing at the moment. Looked excellent, other than non-authentically having a separate board. Worked out around £100 incl shipping, so comparable to Mighty Mite (who only do dot markers?)

If you could live with rosewood these look good value: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Fret-Jazz-J-Bass-Guitar-Neck-Vintage-Maple-Rosewood-with-Skunk-Stripe-/261511242840?pt=UK_Collectables_Vintage_RL&hash=item3ce348e458"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3ce348e458[/url]

I ended up shelling out a fair bit more for a genuine '78 Fender neck from the States in maple / pearl blocks - still worked out cheaper than a new '75 RI neck from Stratosphere (going on a AVRI '75 body)
[/quote]

They come and go on ebay, but they have an actual web-shop too.

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/gitaar-halzen/jazz-bass-maple-neck-20-frets-pearl-block-inlay-with-binding.html

The shop seems slightly cheaper than ebay too

Cheers for all the advice guys! Going by the photos the Custom World neck seems reasonable enough for the price point, I think I'll order one and see what the quality is like when it arrives, if no good then I reckon I may hold out for a genuine Fender neck on Ebay/TalkBass. Thanks for the help so far!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1406990445' post='2516487']

They come and go on ebay, but they have an actual web-shop too.

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/gitaar-halzen/jazz-bass-maple-neck-20-frets-pearl-block-inlay-with-binding.html

The shop seems slightly cheaper than ebay too
[/quote]

That's the one, cheers! I did wonder whether you could put a bullet truss rod adjuster on those: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUSSROD-NUT-BULLET-CHROME-FOR-FENDER-GUITARS-/351118760252?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item51c04f193c as it looks plain wrong like that

I have a CWGP Jazz neck and it is excellent in every way. I'd say the finish, fretwork and general construction seem a small step above the MM necks. I've been really, really happy with mine anyway. Personally, I would buy CWGP instead of an MM neck if I need another in the future.

Well after another afternoon of extensive searching I decided to pull the trigger on the customworld neck, I'll report back with regards quality when it arrives.

I agree about the truss rod adjuster and reckon it'd be much better asthetically if the bullet adjuster will fit - I'll let you all know.

Good to get some positive feedback regarding the CWGP neck too - cheers Al!

So now with the neck on it's way and the body sourced I'm looking for some advice regarding pick up selection, I've been thinking about Fralin's? Having never really swapped out pickups on any of my basses, I'm amazed at the sheer number of types of J pick up to go for? I recently tried a Jazz with Fatboy pups in it and thought they sounded pretty darn good too? I have used EMG passive J's before and was suitably impressed but was wondering if anyone had used any other breed and what the general concensus was?

I guess I really like quite a lot of attack/mids to my sound but also like to retain a good amount of bottom end (think Geddy Lee's tone on any later Rush stuff).

As always any help/advice/opinions greatfully received. :)

Pete

Get a Tonerider set. Seriously, as good as anything out there. I find that a lot of "good" Jazz pickup sets fall down with the solo sound of the neck pickup. The Tonerider neck pickup is particularly impressive IMO.

Edited by hamfist

Cheers for all the responses guys, I do have another query, is it best to shield the pup routes with that copper shielding material - I'm guessing probably a must given the single coil pick up arrangement?

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1407360766' post='2519884']
Cheers for all the responses guys, I do have another query, is it best to shield the pup routes with that copper shielding material - I'm guessing probably a must given the single coil pick up arrangement?
[/quote]
Yes but get the stuff with conductive glue and make sure it's earthed

So just finished building this up:

Thanks to all that helped with assistance and advice - greatly appreciated!

So we have a Mighty Mite Jazz body in seafoam green (photo taken under artificial lighting but it really is green), Custom World Guitar Parts maple neck with pearloid blocks (this is a really nice quality neck for the money, no fettling needed), Wilkinson tuners, Badass II (I know there's a lot of folk think these are ugly/bulky but I like 'em), I went for pick ups/control panel out of a Geddy Lee (a mate of mine had surplus), Tort 3 ply scratchplate, Rotosound RS66LD's. There's a couple of things I'll change, the VVT knobs were all I had spare, will replace with the standard skirted knobs and I made a bit of a schoolboy error with regards the bridge placement - I think I should have mounted it further back from the bridge pup but I'm hoping it sounds nice and gnarly - if not I'll have to move it (whoops).

I'm considering adding a headstock decal - any thoughts?

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1408019762' post='2526311']
That looks hot. Great work and good to hear the necks are decent quality. Can't beat a seafoam jazz
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback :hi: - I assembled it last night and tonight have spent setting it up to suit my taste a bit better - it sounds pretty darn good at home practice levels - practice on Sunday will be the acid test I guess.