Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic Jazz Bass

jazzyvee

I was in guitar guitar yesterday afternoon and decided to check out some basses, and decided to have another go at a Jazz bass so went for the custom shop model and for contrast there was a new John Suhr jazz bass there so I thought i'd give that a try too.

20 minutes later I still wasn't taken by either of them.
For some reason I couldn't get a sound to die for from either of them they just sounded ok. Maybe there is some truth in the idea that a lot of the sound is in the fingers as other people I hear playing jazz basses live sound really good.

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

At last! A paint job that actually suits a pearl guard!!

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1405710088' post='2504666']
...Maybe there is some truth in the idea that a lot of the sound is in the fingers as other people I hear playing jazz basses live sound really good.
[/quote]

Oh well, never mind. You might just as well buy a Squier VM Jazz, then. That'll save you a few bob. :D :P[size=4] ;)[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1405710088' post='2504666']
Maybe there is some truth in the idea that a lot of the sound is in the fingers as other people I hear playing jazz basses live sound really good.
[/quote]

That's true, seen it happen many a time. I love Jazz Basses, but they are all so different and can have different specs so it's a case of finding one that suits those fingers of yours. They are true killers live, clarity and warmth with a great balance.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405710812' post='2504674']
At last! A paint job that actually suits a pearl guard!!

[/quote]

Absolutely, I never thought I'd EVER own a bass with a pearl guard, but then this happened.......

[attachment=167036:P1060148.JPG]

It was marked up as a custom shop bass but I don't know enough about them to know if the listing is correct.
Here it is.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13072511573931

I actually don't have any desire to buy a fender bass. I am just trying to learn about different basses and how they sound to play so having the opportunity to try some top end Fender and a high end fender type alternative I took it. That said, the only one I've tried that i felt something with was the Victor Bailey model.

Jazzyvee

That's a custom shop serial number. Must have been an attempt to try and get a CS bass that sounds, and looks, like a modern 'super-jazz'.

I'm not sure this is what makes CS basses really special. All the best ones I've played have been vintage replicas rather than modern active things.

This is a Fender CS Custom Classic Jazz bass. Now only available by special order. I used to own a Maple neck version. The nicest neck I have ever played. Sounded really good to my ears. I moved it on even at 9 pounds weight, it was too heavy for my screwed up shoulder.