Why become a member? ×

To P or not to P....

AnalogBomb

Here's my problem. I recently picked up a well gigged, bowed neck Mexican Precision (99 - 00). I bought it from a mate and felt so bad because I got it so cheap, I had to give him some more money!

Anyway, he thought the neck was knackered, but after a few trusty turns of the truss, it has returned to a nice, straight low action bass.

This is where my conundrum begins. I love the look and feel of it, but I can't quite settle on the tone! So I swapped the neck onto my Squier VM 70's Jazz and to be honest I prefer the tone, but it doesn't quite feel right, to me, to swap parts around - I know some guys like this....

So I guess my question is; should I persevere, stick with the jazz or trade it! (to be honest, I think I've answered my own question earlier in the post!) Just wondering what people's thought's were...

AB

Do you like P basses in general and is it just the bass you've got where the sound isn't what you expected? Have you tried different strings on it yet and is it wearing flats or rounds? If you like the sound of a P (oooh errrrr) then maybe a pickup upgrade might work wonders or changing the tone cap. BTW what's wrong with the jazz neck? Too skinny?

You're all probably right guys, I do prefer the neck of the precision (for now), guess I don't know what I want really! I'll stick with it for now, got a gig this weekend, so I'll give it a run out then.

Thanks again everyone!

The pups on the Mex P are pretty helpless things. Take your pick of a thousand upgrades .That could well be why you don't like the sound. As for P neck on a J.... why not , if it works for you. P J arrangements on a P seem less popular than they did once but there's another option. It's a Mex P to start with and you say you got it cheap - not much to stop you hacking it. If you decide you like the J with a P neck - put the other bits together , flog them and a J necked P and retire to the nearest pub.

I really don't mind either a P or J neck and don;t really get the big divide... the neck on my regular gigging bass (spector sixer) is enormous but I have no real issues swapping to a 4 string jazz for a couple of songs when needed.

Edited by CamdenRob