Why become a member? ×

Still getting nervous ..?

ML94

Hey Guys,

So recently I've been playing quite a few gigs with a large turn out (100+) well for me anyway and the thing I've noticed is that whenever I do play I always end up playing the easy way ... What I mean by this is that I won't take certain risks. We all know that we shouldn't go off on one when all we need to do is hold the low end but it's when I'm doing a jazz set or something of the sort. I can solo at home with confidence and pretty much hear all the ideas in my head and transfer them on the bass but as soon as I get in front of a crowd it's a different story. Things like playing the same licks or knowing that this ____ will definitely work so I should play it instead of playing what I hear in my head!

In a groove context (holding the low end) I will pretty much again play it safe. I won't express myself in fear of making mistakes ... For some reason this 'feeling' won't go away and it's driving me up the wall !

Oh and am I being paranoid that everyone is listening to me or has this happened to some of you and how did you overcome it?

Thanks!
ML

It's fairly normal and you'll get more comfortable as you get more experience.

I've been gigging for years, I was absolutely terrified at my first one, but gradually got more and more comfortable playing live.

Have you read the book 'The inner game of music' by Barry Green ? If not then get it, it'll give you some ideas on how to cope with performance anxiety.

My personal problem is playing at uni. We have live performance workshops each week, I hate them and have done from week one. That's called situation anxiety. At the start I used to physically shake with nerves. Meditation has helped.

One thing you can try is to look forward to the gig, really, really look forward to it. Starting a few days before start counting down, and think to yourself, now I'm really going to enjoy this, it's going to be amazing. Keep repeating it to yourself like a mantra.

:)

Edited by ambient

I guess just go with the 'screw this' attitude...if you mess up, just look at your fellow musicals and laugh about it, the audience will probably smile back.

I over come my pre gig nerves by reminding myself that I'm the bass player - Noones really interested in me, we're background players and my friends always say they cant tell what I'm playing.

Plus Jazz players all seem to play something completey different to each other anyway! :lol:

So with that in mind, go out and have a laugh.

I get just as nervous when one of the band members teenage kids comes along and merely stares at their phone, as I do when in a hall with 100+ people staring intently at my fretting hand and shaking their heads (or so it seems)

Play what you feel works without reservation, that's what the 'name' players do. Even Billy Sheehan said 'if you make a mistake then play it again and everyone will think you meant to do it' which is pretty much what I chant to myself throughout the performance to overcome the nerves/paranoia

Definitely hit the nail on the head with that first link! I guess my mind does wonder off when playing and starts to think about what the audience are thinking etc.
Like you said Ambient, it comes with experience, I hope this is the case as I haven't played for a long time and as for gigging even less and less. I'm off to Leeds college of music this september to study Jazz and I'm anxious that I'll be the only one there who is rubbish lol!

Some real good advice chaps! Thanks!

Once you do enough gigs where you don't think you've played well and get exactly the same audience reaction as those where you think you were really on the money makes you realise how much leeway there is from their perspective. Always aim to do your best sure but don't get over anxious if it goes a bit astray. Unless you are doing a solo gig remember there are others there to put the music across as well as yourself, its a team effort. My last gig was well below par for me personally, just didn't feel with it at all. However the band as a whole were good, we got a good reaction and two other band members both indepedantly made a point of saying how well they thought it went which they don't normally do, all different perspectives.

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1405350532' post='2501083']
I guess my mind does wonder off when playing and starts to think about what the audience are thinking etc.
[/quote]

Screw the audience!

Who cares what they think!

If anyone is brave enough to say how rubbish you are chances are they arent a musician, cant play and have no idea. I have handed my bass to someone before who said I was sh*t and I said their you go, you play... The look on his face was absolutely hilarious, he went bright red and walked away with me and the band laughing at him.

Musicians who are watching are fully appreciative of what you are doing, ESPECIALLY if you mess up because everyone thats ever picked up an instrument has made a mistake. Those who arent couldnt do any better anyway.

So whats there to worry about?

I can think of two types of 'nerves'. One stems from getting up in front of a crowd of strangers but that's never concerned me how ever big the crowd. Most of them wouldn't know a good note from a bad one so long as they see your fingers move. The other is fear of letting your band mates down which I do understand. I overcame it by realising I'll never play a perfect gig. I'll make mistakes and so will the other members - so there's not a lot of point fretting about it. Experience has taught us how to recover from cock ups and that recovery is the important skill to learn. You go for your chops , mate - no champion ever left his best fight in the dressing room.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1405351419' post='2501098']...how to recover from cock ups and that recovery is the important skill to learn...[/quote]

For my money, this is the key aspect. I'm the drummer, so if I get it wrong, it tends to show..! Yes, it happens, more and more as my ageing grip sends sticks flying..! Does it worry me..? Not any more, as I can keep the band together whilst I grab another..! A couple of bars of fill..? Yes, sometimes I'll 'freeze'; I see our singer anxiously waiting for me to do my few seconds of solo. Nothing. Anguish..? No, I just make sure I come in on the spot to continue. One has to have firmly in mind the certainty that, sometimes (not often, but sometimes...) 'stuff' happens, so practise dealing with it. As has been mentioned above, nothing you'll do (or not...) will injure anyone, so relax. If it goes pear-shaped, carry on. If a colleague frigs it up, carry on. If the audience leave, carry on. Easy enough to say..? Yes, and to do. Just do it.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1405350195' post='2501075']
Plus Jazz players all seem to play something completey different to each other anyway! :lol:
[/quote]

A 16 piece big band would sound a bit a stupid all playing in unison though.....lol...

What Dr Dave said about cock up recovery.

I`ve never been nervous before a gig, and I put that down to being fully rehearsed. If I was asked to do something unprepared then I`m sure I`d be more nervous than anyone else. So the way I look at it is, if you are fully prepared and rehearsed there is nothing to be nervous about.But that`s not to say being blase about it.

To put it into context, I know how to drive, I`m not nervous when I go out in my car, but I make sure I`m aware of what other road-users (and non-road-users) are doing, weather conditions, lighting etc. A state of heightened awareness is how I`d describe it.

That`s similar to how I am when on stage, making sure I pay attention to when the singer comes in, listening out for any off the cuff changes if someone makes an error, keeping an eye on the audience to see who likes, who doesn`t, if anyones going to charge the stage etc.

So it`s a change to my normal state of mind, but not being nervous. Took me a while to realise this, I always thought I was odd not getting nervous, but then I realsied that`s why I`d practiced, so I wouldn`t have to.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1405350175' post='2501073']No-one has ever died from playing a wrong note ![/quote]

It's a damn good job!

I tend to play safer in gigs that practice and also depending on how I feel on the night. If I'm feeling low-energy of nervous I simplify what I'd normally play to an extent and, as I loosen up during the set I tend to express myself more.

I'm not great by any means but I go with what feels good.