Why become a member? ×

Back Up Amp Heads

Weststarx

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1405159516' post='2499232']
...perversely, buying a backup amp has left me without a backup amp, though it did start me on the road to using lighter gear for which I am eternally grateful!
[/quote]

Same here. Bought a 500 Fusion as back-up for my Burman and now it's my go-to amp. Love it.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1405159516' post='2499232']
I bought a TC BH250 as a small, light backup for my Ashdown amp and also because the toneprint thing sounded like fun.

After a couple of weeks playing with toneprints I've never used that feature since but the amp itself became my main amp because it's so light and compact to carry around that I can no longer be bothered to lug my Ashdown gear to most gigs.

So, perversely, buying a backup amp has left me without a backup amp, though it did start me on the road to using lighter gear for which I am eternally grateful!
[/quote]

At the cost of the BH250, why not just get another?

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1405170554' post='2499375']
My Ampeg PF-350 was my back up amp to my Hartke LH500. Now, after buying a TC Electronic BH500, I think that I'll only be ever taking the two bigger heads with me when I start gigging again. So I'm effectively"+1"ing ANY TC Electronic head bar The Blacksmith & any Hartke head bar The Kilo.
[/quote]

In that case why not sell your PF-350 to the OP ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405164312' post='2499298']
At the cost of the BH250, why not just get another?
[/quote]

That's a fair point. These sort of things are coming down in price so much that doubling up isn't such an outlandish idea. After all, it would be cheaper than a spare bass and I'd bet plenty of BCer's are quite happy to splash out on those!

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1405026942' post='2498168']
I had an Acoustic head went up in smoke, literally, during a gig 20-odd years ago. I've always carried a spare since then, and never needed it !

Never leave home without a BDI21 too these days.

You're round Cambridge way, are you not? A bit late now perhaps, but drop me a PM if you get stuck in future.
[/quote]

Just the opposite of my experience then. I've gigged with an Acoustic 220 for 33 years and never felt the need to take a back-up amp. I did buy an Ashdown 600w, thinking it would be louder (when I was in a spoof hair metal band) It wasn't.....

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1405352915' post='2501120']
Just the opposite of my experience then. I've gigged with an Acoustic 220 for 33 years and never felt the need to take a back-up amp.
[/quote]

Long may it continue to serve you well. I don't recall exactly what happened to mine (I think mine might have been a 120, rather than a 220) but I do remember the tech who repaired it saying that it wasn't an uncommon problem.
While I did like it, I never really trusted it after that, and sold it on.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1405352915' post='2501120']
I did buy an Ashdown 600w, thinking it would be louder (when I was in a spoof hair metal band) It wasn't.....
[/quote]

My immediate replacement was a Carlsbro TC60, which I've still got. I wondered at the time if it would be loud enough. It was... :)

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1405355987' post='2501165']
Long may it continue to serve you well. I don't recall exactly what happened to mine (I think mine might have been a 120, rather than a 220) but I do remember the tech who repaired it saying that it wasn't an uncommon problem.
While I did like it, I never really trusted it after that, and sold it on.

My immediate replacement was a Carlsbro TC60, which I've still got. I wondered at the time if it would be loud enough. It was... :)
[/quote]

I also bought a non-working 120 with a cab (because I wanted the cab) The guy who sold it to me said it had just stopped working mid gig. I switched it on briefly and it did start to smoke quite badly! I sold it to MrFoxon! I did have a look inside, and the 120 is nothing like the 220, about half the circuitry!