Why become a member? ×

NyobBD - '77 / '78 P bass (natural / maple) knowledge required please

andydye

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1404983561' post='2497481']
How does that fingerboard wear affect the playability?

I had a friend with a Strat with a maple board with similar wear and although he loved it I found the uneven surface caused by the wear to the finish made it really uncomfortable for me to play.
[/quote]

having had a play around on it last night they're not actually as deep as that pics suggests they might be, not noticeable at all when playing, pleasantly surprised :)

You get quite a lot for your money - easily enough to do one bass
Because the glue conducts you don't need to solder, just overlap the pieces slightly then wire to earth somehow . On mine I get zero measureable resistance from the shield to the jack earth
And it looks shiny

I would start by troubleshooting the electronics to see what could be wrong with it. Try hooking up the pickups directly to the jack and see if the output increases, if not the the pickups are knackered and you'll need to find someone to rewind them (i had Andy at wizard pu's do this job for a friend in an old Fender bass pickups and it was spot on, too bad he's retired now). If the pickups are fine then i would redo the solderings on the pots, old solder isn't as conductive as fresh one, you could start by trying it first with only the volume pot, then add the tone pot with a new cap you may have laying around and finally add the old cap.
After all of this and if the problem with the output was found and solved just shield the cavities and enjoy your bass.

Even if you decide to use a modern wiring loom/pickups you should solve the problem with this bass before it gets worse. If it's knackered it won't increase it's value over time.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1404985572' post='2497516']
You get quite a lot for your money - easily enough to do one bass
Because the glue conducts you don't need to solder, just overlap the pieces slightly then wire to earth somehow . On mine I get zero measureable resistance from the shield to the jack earth
And it looks shiny
[/quote]

I like shiny :) I did do this on a MIM 50's p that I had and it improved life considerably, just ordered some more tape as I gave the remainder of that roll to a mate to sort his gear out.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1404985960' post='2497524']
I would start by troubleshooting the electronics to see what could be wrong with it. Try hooking up the pickups directly to the jack and see if the output increases, if not the the pickups are knackered and you'll need to find someone to rewind them (i had Andy at wizard pu's do this job for a friend in an old Fender bass pickups and it was spot on, too bad he's retired now). If the pickups are fine then i would redo the solderings on the pots, old solder isn't as conductive as fresh one, you could start by trying it first with only the volume pot, then add the tone pot with a new cap you may have laying around and finally add the old cap.
After all of this and if the problem with the output was found and solved just shield the cavities and enjoy your bass.

Even if you decide to use a modern wiring loom/pickups you should solve the problem with this bass before it gets worse. If it's knackered it won't increase it's value over time.
[/quote]

Cheers for the advice matey, I think my first port of call is going to be to send the existing loom off to kiogon for him to check out as he's got all the kit for a proper diagnostic (and I've got no spare bits / wire etc)...he can test the pups to check for inconsistencies / shorts in the coils etc too

so, I've stripped it right down, cleaned everything, put it back together and acoustically it just sings now, such resonance and everything feels amazing!

I've decided to fix the electrics by replacing them and storing the original bits for future consideration as that'll get the most reliable gigging solution :)

I've gone for a seymour duncan spb-1 pickup for now and there'll be a kiogon wiring loom on its way soon too so all will be happy under the hood :)

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1405430471' post='2501817']
Gotta come clean. I put £900 on this auction on the last minute, but the app on my phone froze so it didn't go through. You got lucky indeed matey :lol:

[size=4]How does she sound?[/size]
[/quote]

very lucky :)

she don't sound at all at the minute matey (except a horrible buzzing sound), needs new wiring and a new pup so when sorted (and inc shipping to me) will be around your bid anyway...she's so lovely and resonant (and lightweight) that I don't want to send her back, I want to fix 'er up and get her gigging again :)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1405413089' post='2501615']
I've decided to fix the electrics by replacing them and storing the original bits for future consideration as that'll get the most reliable gigging solution :)

I've gone for a seymour duncan spb-1 pickup for now and there'll be a kiogon wiring loom on its way soon too so all will be happy under the hood :)
[/quote]

Good call Andy, the kiogon loom is easy to install - I managed so it has to be - and a good idea to keep the old stuff to the side just in case.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405432022' post='2501838']
Good call Andy, the kiogon loom is easy to install - I managed so it has to be - and a good idea to keep the old stuff to the side just in case.
[/quote]

cheers bud, I've had kiogon loom's in a couple of basses now, the first time I did it I was somewhat nervy, the second time was a breeze though, this'll be my third (I think)...top quality piece of kit and such a simple upgrade but makes such a big difference :)

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1405456070' post='2502133'] Hi Andy, The bass looks tres cool mate, glad your happy with it. I'll have the rack sorted soon so will post some pics of the cab all set up. Cheers Gui. [/quote] cheers buddy, she's a beaut, well, she will be :) Enjoy the ead, pics woulde be fab of course ;)

Edited by andydye

• 3 weeks later...

Sooooooo, got a seymour duncan spb-1 and a kiogon loom in there now and she sounds luvverly! a really good balance between loads of bottom and not too much bottom, lovely woody sound with a characteristic 70's p (ash bodied) clank with the tone up full. Really really sweet an dshe looks awesome too :)

the band are in love! I want another :gas:

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1407324844' post='2519415']
Sooooooo, got a seymour duncan spb-1 and a kiogon loom in there now and she sounds luvverly! a really good balance between loads of bottom and not too much bottom, lovely woody sound with a characteristic 70's p (ash bodied) clank with the tone up full. Really really sweet an dshe looks awesome too :)

[/quote]

That can be a problem, one just ain't enough. :)

That's how I ended up with two examples from the 70's and a 66. Gradually thinning back out again and now down to the 75 and 66.

Glad yours is all up and running.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1407324844' post='2519415']

[/quote]

When you get a good `un, those 70s Precisions are cracking basses. I`ve probably had more compliments re tone using my `78 than all of my other - considerable I might add - basses I`ve ever owned put together. And many of those have been from non-bassists.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1407326188' post='2519428']
That can be a problem, one just ain't enough. :)
Glad yours is all up and running.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407340265' post='2519604']
When you get a good `un, those 70s Precisions are cracking basses. I`ve probably had more compliments re tone using my `78 than all of my other - considerable I might add - basses I`ve ever owned put together. And many of those have been from non-bassists.
[/quote]

Cheers guys, it certainly feels like a 'good-un', nice n light and sounds awesome!