Why become a member? ×

Best rock covers tunes from the last decade

Diablo

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1405004366' post='2497815']
What key do you do No One Knows in?
[/quote]

It's in C isn't it?

No mentions for Green day here? They usually go down pretty well... although there best tunes certainly were more than 10 years ago, if that is important.

Fratellis? Might be more than 10 years though

I've always wanted to do all my life by the foo fighters live.

Black stone cherry is a good shout

Some of AFIs latest album is really good
as is Osbournes latest album "scream"

Seems like a lot of these numbers wont get the band out of a pub tho...and some might not even get you in one..
I think you need to know your market and make a compromise between what you want to play... what the venues
want and how much you want to get paid...

If you are doing the same as everyone else, then you'll likely be able to do as well as they do..all other things being equal,
but some pub sets on the heavier side ..like AC/DC and the like, for example, tend to leave the band stuck
there. Those gigs will tend to pay between £200 and £500 max..and the larger fee will be the max for a party...??
Because there isn't any difference between the pub set and the party set...then also, people might begrudge
paying the premium..and then they'll invite their party to your gig. Landlord and party person wins... band doesn't..

If we quote a party or beer festival for £1000, then you have to make it different than your Dog and Duck gig.
We can be as pokey as most in a rock band sense, but it is the material that allows you to charge more and/or
you have to have something others don't... IME.

Choosing a set for a purpose can be a very hard thing to get right...
Things I don't tend to like to see is :lol: ... 80's classic rock... too many of them round here.
Soul/Blues Bros bands... and Rockabilly/Brat pack/crooner bands..( they tend to be pretty good tho ..)
Gtr set bands...

Strangely enough, the Blues scene is pretty good and most players in that scene will say
of all the proper gigs they try and do..the Blues gig is the least one likely to loose them money...!!!

Could try Green Day, American Idiot.
We 'loomed' it in with Pretty Vacant as a kind of new punk-old punk mix. Very popular, although we had to slow down 'Idiot' and speed up 'Vacant' a little bit - Pretty Vacant is surprisingly slow.

Definitely agree with most posters here, some great suggestions, particularly Muse & Fratellis. How about White Stripes?

I don't think I've listened to anything new in the last decade but based on our set the two most recent things we do are the aforementioned Black Keys thing (which I hate but other guys in the band and the williams seem to like) and - though it might not make the parameters for all I know - Country Girl by Primal somebody or other. Williams love it every time and I get to sing ' my arsehole is unclean' at the top of my voice which is obviously a bonus ! I don't know if we do it anything like the original because I've never heard it. Our guitar player sang it to me in the car !

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1405351666' post='2501101']
Here you go Dave...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjtajNuAm8[/media]
[/quote]
Very kind of you , mate , but I don't want to know. We're a covers band but I like to have as much 'artistic' input as poss into what I do and I find I can roll my own better without too much - or even any - knowledge of the original. Besides - the sounds off and my good lady is watching Tipping Point and won't be best pleased if I turn it up !