Why become a member? ×

Old Warwick Corvette bass. Advice needed.

SvennK

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I need some advice about a bass guitar I have the opportunity to buy.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The bass is a 1996 Warwick Corvette Standard made in Germany:[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ash body, wenge neck and fingerboard, natural oil finish 34" scale.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Warwick tuners, 2 piece bridge.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]1st version of "Just-a-nut".[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Passive MEC pickups w/"Dynamic correction"[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Comes in a Warwick Casket case.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Uses Jum Dunlop Sercurity lock for the strap.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]The seller says it's in good condition and have been played a lot. Naturally the bass shows signs of it's use throughout the 18 years it's been used.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]How much is it reasonable to ask for an instrument like this, and would this be a good bass for a relative beginner bassist?[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Also, is there something I should pay particular attention to when I inspect it?[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have no experience with basses like this so I need all the advice i can get.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][/font][/color]

I don't think the truss rod cover is in keeping with a 1996 instrument. But either way this is a good bass in terms of quality, sound and playability. I wouldn't pay more than £500 roughly for it.

Edited by cocco

With all Warwick basses you can get an accurate description of the materials and manufacture date from the serial number. Ask the seller to send you the number and enter it on the Warwick web site and you will see all the info.

Corvette necks can be thick and heavy. If you live nearby, go and see if you can try it out. if not, ask the front to back depth.

In any case, in today's market I would expect this to go for not much over £450.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1404731529' post='2495087']
You could buy i brand new Warwick Pro Series Corvette passive from Thomann for £440.
I can highly reccomend these,i have an active Corvette & love it so much i now have a Pro Series Thumb bass on order.
[/quote]
I had the pleasure of trying one of these yesterday at the Bass Bash.

I didn't hear it, but BlueJay owns and loves it. Nice finish, well balanced. You won't go far wrong.

Edited by Grangur

I had a German made corvette of similar vintage

The neck was very thin indeed - too thin for me but build quality was awesome

Things to look out for
1. Does the plug cut out the sound if you wiggle it (when plugged into an amp) ? Common problem but maplin sell a decent replacement part
2. Has the nut broken ?

would buy it for max 450quid as I love wenge neck warwicks, they are not as chunky as the mid 2000's ovangkol ones. also, the brass JAN is an added bonus as its miles better than the 2nd and 3rd gen JAN.

Edited by ordep

Aye, I would agree that £450 is about right. It's a gorgeous bass, it will sound great, and set up well it will be lovely to play. I'd have loved something like that when I was starting out :)

If I was going to inspect this (or any) bass, I'd check the following ...
[list]
[*]Lift the truss-rod cover with a flat headed screwdriver and check that the truss rod nut hasn't been chewed
[*]look up and down the fretboard checking to see if theres a twist in the neck
[*]knock on the back of the neck. If you hear a rattle tighten the truss rod. If it still rattles, walk away.
[*]check that three control knobs actually control something, and that both pickups work
[*]lift the back cover and check for obvious signs of modification
[/list]
Good luck man.