Why become a member? ×

Devin Townsend Project. Leamington tonight

fretmeister

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1404527881' post='2493520']
Cool, am I right in thinking he's the chap who sang on Vai's Sex & Religion?
He's got an incredible voice if it is him.
[/quote]

yes he did saw him at hammy odeon on that tour and he was rather good live too

I used to love his stuff. Well, the old stuff is still untouchable - Ocean Machine, City, Terria etc. Hit a wobbly patch with the disappointing Ziltoid, I just about gave up on him when I heard Deconstruction. I know "It's just entertainment folks" but that album was painful to listen to. And now he's getting the critical attention he deserves. Funny old world!
Still, he has a fearsome back catalogue and he's an incredible guitarist and singer.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1404582729' post='2493968']
I used to love his stuff. Well, the old stuff is still untouchable - Ocean Machine, City, Terria etc. Hit a wobbly patch with the disappointing Ziltoid, I just about gave up on him when I heard Deconstruction. I know "It's just entertainment folks" but that album was painful to listen to. And now he's getting the critical attention he deserves. Funny old world!
Still, he has a fearsome back catalogue and he's an incredible guitarist and singer.
[/quote]

Ziltoid was intended to be a piss take! It was excellent

Deconstruction wasn't great, but Addicted was superb, possibly the best of his career.

I pledged to his new Casualties of Cool album, it's pop but very well crafted.

I'm a massive fan. Met him on several occasions too, never anything but fun and gracious for the support he gets. I always had him pegged as "the best rock musician you've never heard of", so I'm glad to see him getting his props a bit more often lately.

Saw Strapping and the DTB several times back in the day, and I went to the Retinal Circus show last year. What a gig - something for everyone, commentary by Steve Vai, Anneke van Giersburgen singing wonderfully (and looking gorgeous as usual), stuff from more or less all of Dev's back catalogue, including a couple of Strapping tunes (with Jed Simon on guitar), and plenty of additional theatrics. I think Addicted and Epicloud are two of the best rock/metal albums of recent years, and I'm looking forward to the Z2/new DTP double album coming soon.

All hail the mighty Dev. :D I hope he kick's Sonisphere's arse tomorrow.

I saw him at The Fleece in Bristol a few years ago as a mate from work is a huge fan. We were stood next to a guy who had his mates throw him into the crowd to go crowd surfing. He ended up near the stage and Devin motioned for them to throw him on up there. So they did, and the guy landed next to his hero who not only got him to sing, but got him to play a few chords on his guitar. The guy then went back into the crowd and ended up back next to me. He just stood there and said, "oh my God, did that actually happen?" and I said to him "not only did it happen mate, but I got the whole thing on video". And here it is. Devin is a goddam legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tilxEaEd0cM

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1404770513' post='2495635']
I'll need to get some of his stuff now - he's got some great praise in the previous posts.
Where should I start? What are the "go-to" albums he's done?
[/quote]

His most accessible albums are definitely Addicted and Epicloud, both quite recent, so jump in there.

Ki is also great, if not typical of his usual style. Beyond that, and going back a little, Terria, Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution are awesome, Ocean Machine is sublime, and of course his body of work with Strapping Young Lad is essential if industrial-tinged angry yet melodic metal is your thing (go for City and The New Black first). And, for sheer fun, there's his "rock opera", Ziltoid The Omniscient. :)

All of his albums have great stuff on them, just some more than others. Some of his late-90s records (Infinity, Physicist) are a little on the weird side, but contain some great tunes in amongst the strangeness (Christeen - with Ginger Wildheart, Kingdom, Bad Devil, etc). More recently, Deconstruction is a great record, very heavy and ambitious, but almost unlistenable in parts! And, much as I'm a Dev fan, I haven't really got into his latest, the Casualties Of Cool album.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1404771143' post='2495642']
His most accessible albums are definitely Addicted and Epicloud, both quite recent, so jump in there.

Ki is also great, if not typical of his usual style. Beyond that, and going back a little, Terria, Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution are awesome, Ocean Machine is sublime, and of course his body of work with Strapping Young Lad is essential if industrial-tinged angry yet melodic metal is your thing (go for City and The New Black first). And, for sheer fun, there's his "rock opera", Ziltoid The Omniscient. :)

All of his albums have great stuff on them, just some more than others. Some of his late-90s records (Infinity, Physicist) are a little on the weird side, but contain some great tunes in amongst the strangeness (Christeen - with Ginger Wildheart, Kingdom, Bad Devil, etc). More recently, Deconstruction is a great record, very heavy and ambitious, but almost unlistenable in parts! And, much as I'm a Dev fan, I haven't really got into his latest, the Casualties Of Cool album.
[/quote]

Ok, great, I'll seek them out.
Thank you.