Why become a member? ×

Building a Fretless maple board Precision bass. Pickup question

police squad

Never actually put anything together from scratch so I am wondering about pickups.
My idea behind this bass is to have a quality but inexpensive bass guitar, for touring, but it still must look right for my tribute.

So, a standard P bass pickup doesn't come with the brass plate underneath. (some of the Fender pickups do but they're too expensive for this project)
Do I need to have the brass plate?
What does it do?

your thoughts o wise bass chatters

Mart

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1404392132' post='2492219']
cool, thanks for that.

any good but reasonably priced pickup ideas? The Toneriders perhaps? Anyone with any experience. Their guitar pickups seem good
[/quote] Toneriders are really good but maybe to "Modern" sounding for your Police Gig I would try the Entwhistle PBN that has a more vintage vibe ans is about 15 bangers :) There is a PBXN but I think that would be too "metal" Why not try a used MIM or Squier pup ?

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1404392571' post='2492227']
Toneriders are really good but maybe to "Modern" sounding for your Police Gig I would try the Entwhistle PBN that has a more vintage vibe ans is about 15 bangers :)
[/quote]
yes, I've seen the entwhistles too. I have some wilkinsons in my geoff whitehorn guitar which are also very good.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1404392664' post='2492228']
yes, I've seen the entwhistles too. I have some wilkinsons in my geoff whitehorn guitar which are also very good.
[/quote] I Put Wilkinsons in my sons P bass and think they sound quite vintage but I did prefer my MIM pickup thinking about it you may want a pup that is a touch hotter as being a fretless and if you use flats the output of the bass would be slightly lower

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1404392998' post='2492234']
I Put Wilkinsons in my sons P bass and think they sound quite vintage but I did prefer my MIM pickup thinking about it you may want a pup that is a touch hotter as being a fretless and if you use flats the output of the bass would be slightly lower
[/quote]

I've never had a mexican bass so I have no idea how they sound. There is always mex p/ups on ebay.
My main 'Sting' fretless is a 70s Japan only reissue. It's very heavy but does sound good. I think it probably has US pickups on it but I've never had a look

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1404399413' post='2492310']
I got a pup from a classic 50s P on eBay for £8
Something like that would do ?
[/quote]

These pickups were reported to be US Standard Issue. I saw an e-mail from Fender over on Talkbass confirming this. Don`t know if it`s something they have continued with though. What I do know is those basses sound great, so the pickups are doing a good job.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1404399615' post='2492315']
for £8 you can't really go wrong
[/quote]
One other bidder - that was all. The bass doc was quite impressed with its sound , and he owns a 63 p

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404410938' post='2492424']

These pickups were reported to be US Standard Issue. I saw an e-mail from Fender over on Talkbass confirming this. Don`t know if it`s something they have continued with though. What I do know is those basses sound great, so the pickups are doing a good job.
[/quote]
I did hear thy were used in custom shop basses at one point - punch above their weight anyway

Just saying / kept your eyes on eBay there are always pup bargains to be had

I'd be cautious about a maple board... don't take the strings as well as ebony or rosewood.

Only fretless players I've seen go maple are Sting and Christian McBride - both of whom carry it off well though...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1404511572' post='2493459']
I'd be cautious about a maple board... don't take the strings as well as ebony or rosewood.

Only fretless players I've seen go maple are Sting and Christian McBride - both of whom carry it off well though...
[/quote]

True, I would epoxy the fingerboard of a Maple fretless if it's ever likely to come into contact with roundwound strings.