Why become a member? ×

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet. Good or bad song?

Marvin

If doing covers there are a few of ways of looking at it, either do ones audiences love and dance to, or do ones that the band love but audiences don`t know and no-one dances, or the happiest of all, do songs both bands and audiences love and dance to. I`d put Black Velvet in the first category, it`s one of those songs that many seem to know and love. Covers band doing those types of songs, providing they do them well, should always be getting bookings.

I am definitely in the category in the no artistic integrity and firmly believe in giving the punters what they want but you can do that without playing the cover band top 40 (still in at no 1 after 30 Years ALL Right Now). You have the pick songs that connect with people and go down well with your target audience without regurgitating the same old set list, it just takes a little bit of imagination, and it’s too easy to pick songs just because they went down well in your last band.
I know there are plenty of bands doing this successfully but that my point why compete in a crowded market just be that little bit deferent and that will make you special.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1404298580' post='2491225']
Can you post your current typical set so we can see how 'different' a successful gigging band can be?
[/quote]

It is more how you play the set and we are a 5 piece with Keys but here are a few
Woodcutters son.
Life During Wartime.
Middle of the Road
Good Souls..
Grounds for Divorce

More well known.
Sympathy for the Devil
5:15
Human

• 3 weeks later...