Why become a member? ×

Does anyone use a feedback destroyer ?

Les

Do you mean something like the Behringer FBQ2496? If so, yeah, they work quite well.. no substitute for common sense, of course, and maybe I'm thick but even after reading the manual I've never been able to do anything more fancy with it than turn it on, bung it in automatic and let it do its thing. It still does its thing, though!

My band uses two, mainly because we have four band members who sing, and the guitarists play acoustics/mandolins/banjos, so lots of feedback potential.

We put one on the FOH and one on the monitors, and they work really well.

As above, we leave them on auto and always ring out the venue before we start, and have never had any problems as a result.

I've used a Sabine (the earlier version of this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/sabine_fbx_2410.htm ) for the last five years.

I treat it as entirely 'fire & forget'; it lives permanently in the signal chain and I never even glance at it.

I bought the 2-channel version so that I could have it run independently on the monitors channel and (since this is a pub band after all) on front of house.

Both the lead singer and I use personal monitors mounted on mic-stands. In the last five years, the only feedback issues we have ever experienced have always been traceable to them, and they're the only parts of the system not going through the Sabine.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but we never ring out a venue. Ever. We've never had a need to with the Sabine in the loop.

I've heard good things about the Peavey Feedback Ferret too.

Currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sabine-FBX-2400-Dual-Feedback-Exterminator-/321443624080?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item4ad7887490

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEAVEY-FEEDBACK-FERRET-D-/181445141979?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item2a3ef925db

I got one for the monitors as in a small gig with a loud drummer and vocalists wanting to hear themselves above the drummer we had a lot of feedback issues. There is little space to move stuff around. As we only have 1 AUX feed from our tiny desk there is only 1 monitor mix and so it only used 1 channel of the feedback destroyer.

Then I got a second to put on FoH as we were getting some bounce back in some places off hard walls, floors, ceilings etc. But I don't use that as much.

Both are Behringers bought second-hand.

Ringing out basically means turning up an open vocal mic till it starts to feedback, then identifying what frequency it's feeding back at, and ducking that frequency.
Repeat a few times till you are sure it isn't going to feed even at silly volumes.
Then turn it down a bit : )
Same method for FOH or mons

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1403952842' post='2487975']
Ringing out basically means turning up an open vocal mic till it starts to feedback, then identifying what frequency it's feeding back at, and ducking that frequency.
Repeat a few times till you are sure it isn't going to feed even at silly volumes.
Then turn it down a bit : )
Same method for FOH or mons
[/quote]

In the applicatrion I'm talking about ie monitors, we have 3 vox 3 monitors, singer has his own mix, the guitarist and I share a mix.

Would we do this ringing out process on each individual mic or turn up all 3 and let the destroyer loose on them ?

thanks

Les

I'd be inclined to prioritise the mics, get the main one clear louder than you think you'll need, then pull it back where you think you'll really need it. Repeat with the 2nd and 3rd mics so now all 3 mics are open where you think you'll need them. You may need to revisit mic 1 just in case the spare headroom has dropped but hopefully you've still got filters to spare at this point, and bear in mind you probably want a few filters spare anyway because the acoustics will change when the room is full of soft and absorbant punter shaped bodies.

Give yourself extra time at the first gig, and have a play with it in practice. Every venue will be a bit different.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1403946074' post='2487887']
Never heard that phrase before. What exactly is ringing out the room ??

Guess it's sending different signals to see where the limits are but like I said that's just a guess.

Intrigued.
[/quote]

Google it ... there are some very good YouTube demonstrations of how to do it properly.

Note that you need a 31-band EQ to do it in a meaningful way. For a pub band, that's probably overkill.