Why become a member? ×

Does anyone own a Stew-Mac Tuner Pin Drill Jig I could borrow? (Schaller Guitar Tuners)

Dood

Hey all, I'm after one of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Jigs_and_Fixtures/Tuner_Pin_Drill_Jig.html

Which is as you can see a jig to help me drill the correct positioned holes for a set of locking guitar tuning keys that feature the 'pin' type mounting.

To buy them from Stew-Mac plus shipping is costly and a wait of up to 4 weeks. So I thought I'd ask here first!

Dan

Cheers TBird! I'd found those posts already as well as Stew-Macs own site - but as they are US based I was looking for someone a bit closer to home who might have one. That's before I shell out for a luthier to do it for me!

You can see a little prong sticking up out of the back of the tuning key here. It's a locating pin, rather than using a normal screw hole. The benefits being that you are less likely to sheer off one of those little screws whilst installing the key. The only downside is making sure that you have put your pilot hole in the right place prior to installing this key. The Jig ensures you do it correctly and effortlessly!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1403828747' post='2486952']
Could you not just make a template yourself...? Also once you have the main hole then you could use the prong itself to mark the small hole for it.
[/quote]
Then you could drill the hole using a small bit. Games workshop sell small drill bits and small drills, if you need one.

I guess that yes I could make one myself, but I thought I'd ask here first in case anyone had a jig already thus saving myself a bit of work :) I think I may have a work around too that I'll try over the weekend. My main concern is getting one of those pin holes in the wrong place and spoiling the look of the guitar by having a wonky key. Even worse for that matter would be totally messing it up so the key can't be fitted properly at all! ha!

• 5 years later...
On 27/06/2014 at 12:52, Dood said:

I guess that yes I could make one myself, but I thought I'd ask here first in case anyone had a jig already thus saving myself a bit of work :) I think I may have a work around too that I'll try over the weekend. My main concern is getting one of those pin holes in the wrong place and spoiling the look of the guitar by having a wonky key. Even worse for that matter would be totally messing it up so the key can't be fitted properly at all! ha!

Did you ever sort this out DOOD

6 minutes ago, Bill Lothian said:

Did you ever sort this out DOOD

It ended up being less hassle to buy a set of premium locking tuners which were screw type instead. (This takes in to consideration my concerns about messing it up!!) As it happens I for some reason still have the set of unused pin type locking tuners here. I should probably stick them up for sale!!

11 hours ago, Bill Lothian said:

Did anyone ever find one of these in the UK?    I tried to get one from STEWMAC direct but they wanted $178.00 to ship from US to UK......I guess it must be "gold-plated" ?????

The easiest and cheapest way is to:

Take a piece of paper, cut a hole (school set compass and a razor blade or modelling knife) the size of the main tuner bush.  Pop it over one of the tuners and press on the two pins to make an impression.

Take a piece of scrap 1/8" wood or ply, around 1" x 0.5" big and scribe the tuner bush circle on that too

Line up the paper bush hole over the circle you've just drawn and use a pin or sharp nail to press through to the wood the two centres of the pins.

Drill holes in the wood of the tuner bush diameter and the two pins diameter

Check the fit of the three holes over a tuner

If not OK, make another one, adjusting the pin centres as appropriate. 

But assuming it fits, pop the tuner bush drill through the headstock hole and slide your newly made template over it.  Drill your two pin holes in the headstock.

Time to make...say, 30 mins. Cost, zero.

A photo would have helped but I'm typing this on a train. Hopefully it makes sense. :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Thanks 1