Why become a member? ×

DR Coloured Strings

Wooks

Sorry for unscientific reply but I had a set of the red strings when I was in a death/thrash band (I put them on my Tom Araya none-more-black-with-added-evil-pentagrams ESP bass) and I thought they were horrible - something about the texture was cheap feeling and they stopped sounding bright fairly quickly - despite (I believe) claims about some sort of coating extending the life. Nastiest strings I ever played apart from Rotosound Steve Harris flatwounds. Style over substance.

IMHO of course - next reply will doubtless say they are the dog's gonads!

Coated strings other than Elixirs make no sense because the strings are coated before being wound, making the gaps filled with coating from new. This makes them sound pretty nasty very quickly. Elixir coat them after the wrapping (they have patented this method) so the crap can't get in there to begin with. As a result they last an extremely long time! They don't do coloured ones though I am afraid!!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='244763' date='Jul 21 2008, 08:23 PM']From experience, DR lowriders are the best sounding longest lasting strings i've used.[/quote]
Indeed. I got a whole gig out of mine! Pleading with DR didn't help either. They sounded f***ing great for that gig though. No, they really did.

Edited by johnnylager

I have a set of Black Beauties on my Retroactive (so the whole bass is black, save for the hardware :) ). They look cool and sound great but they don't do it for me enough to buy another set. Status Hotwires are just that little bit more "me"! (Though I do have 6 sets of Trace Elliot strings to experiment with...)

I had a set of Black Beauties on my Warwick. I had the bass down-tuned at the time and they were the best strings I've ever used for tension. The strings felt almost as taute as my regular string brand at concert pitch. They did last a long time, but again, I look after my strings so they last a long time anyway.

They were the best strings i've ever tried, but the expense was too much for the gain. If they were comparable to the price of my Warwick Red Labels then I wouldn't turn back.

• 1 month later...

Love DR Extras personally. They aren't as bright to begin with as, for example, a brand new set of Rotosound Swing Bass 66, but I find they keep their tone for ages. I do about 100 (two or three set) gigs a year and change mine about 4 times a year.

I can't say I've noticed the coating giving a different feel in any more of a sense than Elites feel a bit different to Sunbeams which feel different to Laklands etc. There's certainly no distinctive feel like Elixirs feel (which to me is as though they are kinda wet, or oily).

If you're a monster slapper or are looking for a particularly aggressive tone, they're probably not for you. If you play with a pick, they might not be fore you either as the coating does start to come off a little after time.

I bought 2 sets of Peacock Blue DR strings last December & they look great when you first put em on & then after a week they look scabby. I have went thru both sets of strings & both G's snapped in no time (about 3 months max outta each) which is pretty pants as I usually only change my strings every 6-12 months. They did sound good when I first put em on but dulled after a few weeks.

I'm back with uncle Ernie.

Don't bother with the not so good doctor!