Why become a member? ×

Working band individual expenses

bonzodog

In ours, we split the gig money into equal parts (so 5 for four of us) and the additional share goes into the pot. This covers costs such as transport (petrol, van, insurance and PA bits) as well as gear insurance for everyone. Everything outside of that (individual gear and upkeep of it) is paid for by band members. Any extra money in the pot at the a of the gear goes to the Christmas do and then any left over after that goes into the 'buying a drink at the gig' fund :-)

Some opinions on my current set up would be helpful chaps.
5 piece band.
Our PA consists of 4 12" Subs and 2 tops of which I own 2 subs and the 2 tops outright, the other pair of subs I part own in an equal split with the band. I also own both power amps and the x-over. The desk is owned between the other band members and was bought before I joined.
My total outlay is roughly £800 when taking Speaker leads etc into account. I owned this gear before I joined and offered it as available as it's decent quality kit albeit a little old but it is far better than what they were using before I joined.
We currently don't own any lights as a band, instead the guy who runs the band hires them on a gig to gig basis. We are all expected to share in that cost.
I own a van as my daily driver so haul the PA, on travel gigs I also take most of the band's gear as well.
I'm starting to get a little pissed as none of the other band members have any significant outlay on shared gear (they pretty much just own their own back line / drum kit, Keyboard etc ) yet I'm asked for a share of the lighting costs. I was also asked for a share of £60 at the weekend to pay for a flight case for the desk. I refused on the basis that I don't own a share in the desk and have bought cases for my own amps myself.
My question is.....and thanks for sticking with it....
Am I being a dick if I politely decline or ask not to be included in any further incurred costs for any lighting hire on the basis that I already have £800 invested in gear that the band use week in week out. I don't charge a penny for it's use.
Thanks in advance.
B)

Lights and full P.A are extras and you can split what you own with what the others own and take from a 6th share.
Of course, your percentage of that 6th share is bigger than the lights and desk, probably, but you may want to do this by cost of unit
or what it would could if you deemed them a must-have and therefore charge/split accordingly.
This is key to the negotiations about what split you assign to what gear but I think you need to pursue this
as it is starting to eat at you...
The others have to be mature and recognise you have an issue. No toys out of pram but you need to discuss this
but also be prepared that they may well say goodbye. You will, of course remind them, that they have to address the P.A issue
from scratch... and all that that entails.

Part of our P.A costs take into account the guy loading up at both ends into his car/van, the cabling and we are expected to help the set-up and break down at the gig, otherwise we would run into other problems where he would give us a complete hore charge and it would start
at £100 per gig which would put pubs out of the equation.
We also have to pay a bit more when the gigs allow to cover the smaller fees.
Our base P.A charge is £20 at a pub and where are you going to get any sort of worthwhile P.A for that transported etc etc ...

Reality check time... no one wants to pay more and they wont volunteer it otherwise we are not having this discussion..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403638516' post='2484870']
...we would run into other problems where he would give us a complete hore charge...
[/quote]

I think hores should be an individual expense unless the whole band are joining in...

Edited by discreet

Yes. I agree there are two types of PA.

1) 200w vocal PA that every vocalist should own and bring to the gig for their own use.
2) Full PA capable of running instruments.

My view has always been in case 2) that one person should own the PA and the band should hire it from them. Any breakage from misuse or accident should be paid for by the person misusing it. Any accident from band funds. Any wear and tear paid for by the owner.

The problem is; someone has to store the gear and go out and replace leads and other bits that wear out. It can quickly becomes a thankless task and 'expected'. And with the best will in the world shared gear doesn't get treated with the same respect and looked after as well as personal property.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403640865' post='2484911']
I think hores should be an individual expense unless the whole band are joining in...
[/quote]

:lol: we used to have a pact that we left the money back at the hotel...just to resist temptation and blowing it.
Sometimes it didn't work.. ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1403638516' post='2484870']

Part of our P.A costs take into account the guy loading up at both ends into his car/van, the cabling and we are expected to help the set-up and break down at the gig, otherwise we would run into other problems where he would give us a complete hore charge and it would start
at £100 per gig which would put pubs out of the equation.
We also have to pay a bit more when the gigs allow to cover the smaller fees.
Our base P.A charge is £20 at a pub and where are you going to get any sort of worthwhile P.A for that transported etc etc ...

Reality check time... no one wants to pay more and they wont volunteer it otherwise we are not having this discussion..
[/quote]
I'm thinking a stripped down pub set up for no charge, but everyone helps set up etc.
For weddings etc, there has to be a reasonable fee, because £5k worth of P.A definitely gets you more work, and that's what it's about.
As you say above, the guy loading in etc.
We have our first pub gig on sat and our new singer packed his guitar and keyboards tonight after rehearsal and said right, I'll pack these and see you there.
I just said, perhaps it would be easier if you left them here, and then you could help pack all the rest of it on Saturday.
He looked a bit nonplussed, as if testing, loading and moving the P.A was nothing to do with him.
I'm sure this isn't an unusual attitude, our last singer had it too, which is partly why we sacked him ;)
Some bands are happy sharing stuff, and that's cool, but where you have a case where one member has layed out a very large amount on what is after all shared equipment, then a fee should be charged.

Gray area indeed
i do PA hire and hire out a ful Hk rig, 32chan desk with rack gizmos, 5 way powered monitoring,
all quality mics, stands,multicore, lights, all set up before the band arrive, and when they bugger off
as soon as they finish, im left til the dj has packed away and last out.

now i also play in a band that expect the same pa and standards,
All i ask for the band i am in, is that the pa takes a members cut,
so a 5 piece band splits 6 ways, great for the guys they turn up plug and play finish and go.
but then there is a sound man who turns up when i arrive
does the sound and lights and leaves when i do , so he gets a cut so 7 ways.
Now reality,
If you did £ per hour and you do PA as well as play in the band, ! ! sh*t you could go and sell broken biscuits
on a market stall for more, but thats playing in a band, just enjoy, you sign up, expect the worst, any extra is a good day. ;)