Why become a member? ×

Eric Clapton - Live In Leeds (22/06/2014)

njr911

Good show last night.

I've seen him a few times before, he lacked a bit of banter but it was a good show. Leeds Arena is good as long as you're not in the third tier.

Clapton only played a couple of Strats in a metallic gunmetal with maple (nicely figured) boards.

His bass player used a Fender 64AVRI Jazz bass in LPB with matching HS and an Epi Jack Cassidy in the acoustic section.

Enjoy if you're going to see him this week

At least he managed to finish his gig in Leeds without storming off stage in a huff like he did at Glasgow on Saturday night!!

[url="http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/music/review-eric-clapton-strops-off-stage-at-the-sse-hydro.1403387960"]http://www.heraldsco...ydro.1403387960[/url]

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1403512599' post='2483286']
Quite amused to read one of the comments in that report:

After 50-odd years at or near the sharp end of the business I'm sure he would have been very worried to read this. ;)
[/quote]

I think they need to replace "seriously" with "pay £100 for a ticket" ;)

I wasn't there myself but I do know two people who were and apparently it was a good gig up until he stormed off stage. Heard rumours of "low level feedback" on Twitter but I don't think it really affected the sound out front, certainly the two guys I know who were there didn't have any complaints about it anyway. Still, it is a bit of a shabby way to treat 12,500 members of your audience.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1403512599' post='2483286']
After 50-odd years at or near the sharp end of the business
[/quote]

.....you would have expected a more professional attitude towards his paying audience.

Edited by Coilte

Glad I did n't read this before going to his Leeds gig last night! Did n't detect any tension there with the band/out front sound etc,
so guess it was maybe onstage monitoring giving EC grief as suggested? No excuse for a strop like that though....

I've heard mixed reports about the Glasgow thing.

Some people and press saying he stormed off and curtailed his set.

Others say that the set was the standard length, apart from 'Call Me the Breeze' being chopped 'cos of sound issues, otherwise the set was the usual length.

Mate said he played for around 1 Hour 10 Minutes, when we went off at 10.00pm. He didn't even sing the last song when he came back on, Paul Carrick took lead vocals. He said the audience only realised the gig was over when the house lights came on and the stage guys came out and started to dismantle the gear!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403514649' post='2483318']
I've heard mixed reports about the Glasgow thing.

Some people and press saying he stormed off and curtailed his set.

[b][i]Others say that the set was the standard length, apart from 'Call Me the Breeze' being chopped 'cos of sound issues, otherwise the set was the usual length.[/i][/b]
[/quote]

That's how I interpreted the report.

Since people insist on being serious about it...

1. Clapton is known for being a perfectionist with sound. If the sound crew couldn't get it right either before or during the gig, then I can understand him getting upset about it. I'd agree that it was a bit of an overreaction, but I'd certainly understand the frustration. I've done gigs where the sound out front wasn't right, and I've done others where the monitor system was a complete PITA! It's not a pleasant experience, as I'm sure many around these parts will attest.

2. It's quite amusing to me to read this sort of coverage over what most would agree is an isolated incident in a VERY long and distinguished career (although I don't doubt somebody will dredge up something from his past to prove me wrong ;) ), when I compare it with the routine behaviour of some Primadonnas of a more recent vintage. Curious thing, expectation...

Techical issues apparently. <_< [url="http://www.contactmusic.com/article/eric-clapton-apologizes-to-concertgoers-for-walking-out-of-glasgow-show_4255182"]http://www.contactmusic.com/article/eric-clapton-apologizes-to-concertgoers-for-walking-out-of-glasgow-show_4255182[/url]

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1403515070' post='2483326']
Mate said he played for around 1 Hour 10 Minutes, when we went off at 10.00pm. He didn't even sing the last song when he came back on, Paul Carrick took lead vocals. He said the audience only realised the gig was over when the house lights came on and the stage guys came out and started to dismantle the gear!
[/quote]

That's how it was in Leeds too - I think he left early for the last song (probably after he'd taken his solo) and expected the band to carry on and didn't realise that people interpreted it as a storm off.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1403515070' post='2483326']
[/quote]

According to Setlist.fm, he played the same show in Leeds as he did in Glasgow - which echoes what a few comments noted. Guess it's simply a short show? I'd be hoping for more, I'll admit.

Yeah, you'd think at the price of a ticket, eh?

I'm only going on what I was told happened and it's easy to say in hindsight that he played the same set as elsewhere, but when the act stops half way through a number and walks off leaving even the band wondering wtf has happened, comes back on and plays a final number with someone else on vocals, leaves again without as much as a "thanks" or a "goodnight" and the roadies appear instantly on stage to start to dismantle with thousands of people booing, you can see why people took it as a "storms off".

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1403515946' post='2483339']
(although I don't doubt somebody will dredge up something from his past to prove me wrong ;) )
[/quote]

Now that you mention it.... ;) It would appear that Clapton does not "do" professionalism and respect for an audience. Why ? Google "clapton's infamous 1976 concert" if you are interested.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1403518221' post='2483369']
Yeah, you'd think at the price of a ticket, eh?

I'm only going on what I was told happened and it's easy to say in hindsight that he played the same set as elsewhere, but when the act stops half way through a number and walks off leaving even the band wondering wtf has happened, comes back on and plays a final number with someone else on vocals, leaves again without as much as a "thanks" or a "goodnight" and the roadies appear instantly on stage to start to dismantle with thousands of people booing, you can see why people took it as a "storms off".
[/quote]

The Rodies did the same last night. EC walks off, lights go up and rodies decend. I thought that was unprofessional. Give it half an hour before the punters clear.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1403526439' post='2483530']
Now that you mention it.... ;) It would appear that Clapton does not "do" professionalism and respect for an audience. Why ? Google "clapton's infamous 1976 concert" if you are interested.
[/quote]

Granted. One (albeit extremely unpleasant and nasty) example - though I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more from either his cocaine or alcohol periods surfaces... Not sure though whether one 40-year old example of a very drunk Clapton reacting to his wife (apparently) being ogled by a member of the Saudi Royal family qualifies as typical of his onstage behaviour over a 50+ year performing life. Also (and just so we're clear), his political views are not the issue here.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1403538182' post='2483692']
Also (and just so we're clear), his political views are not the issue here.
[/quote]

Fair enough, he is entitled to his views, but it still beggars belief that someone who has gained fame and fortune from playing mainly blues music could even consider saying such things....albiet stoned, drunk, or both.

Seemingly when later challenged about his remarks, he refused to take them back. Then he had the balls to appear at a function to celebrate Nelson Mandela's 70'th birthday.

A hypocrite... to say the least.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403539521' post='2483711']
Have you got a source for that?
[/quote]

Not to hand, but if you do some research I'm sure you'll find it.

EDIT : A quick Google search threw up this. I am sure there are lots more like it :

[url="http://rockaliser.blogspot.ie/2010/12/eric-claptons-evil-speech.html"]http://rockaliser.blogspot.ie/2010/12/eric-claptons-evil-speech.html[/url]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1403539414' post='2483709']
Fair enough, he is entitled to his views, but it still beggars belief that someone who has gained fame and fortune from playing mainly blues music could even consider saying such things....albiet stoned, drunk, or both.

Seemingly when later challenged about his remarks, he refused to take them back. Then he had the balls to appear at a function to celebrate Nelson Mandela's 70'th birthday.

A hypocrite... to say the least.
[/quote]

His remarks were about keeping Britain white, which is not in conflict with his apparent love of black music & musicians or even Mandela . . . . just as long as they don't want to live here presumably, so not really hypocritical from his perspective.

For the record, I think his sentiments are appalling and I'm sure they're why he doesn't say much when performing any more. It just proves that being a great musician doesn't preclude someone also being a wholly disagreeable c**t. Indeed, I'm surprised anyone should think that just because they like a particular song that the artist would automatically be worthy of being their best mate rather than someone they couldn't stand being in the same room with. Morrissey springs to mind for some reason.

Edited by flyfisher