Why become a member? ×

Decal for headstock

Thunderbird

Hi All I am getting bits and bobs together for my bitsa P bass build I would like to sort the headstock out on the neck I have and stick a nice decal on it I don't really want to put a Fender decal on it as if I decide to sell it on in the future some unscrupulous git may try and re sell it on as a real Fender but thats another issue lol so I was thinking of what other designs I could go for on the headstock I did think of some thing like the Harley Davidson winged skull design but think that may be a bit tacky so I am still trying to come up with ideas. So can any of you guys give me a real idiots guide how to apply and lacquer whichever decal I choose? or do you think my plan be sounds better the guitar body is in really good shape and is black and blue so I did think of putting a carbon wrap around the headstock or will that look naff? So I thought I would ask the infinite wisdom of all you basschatters for some ideas/input thanks in advance :)

One of the ways people do it is to have a Fendre or something similar decal made. It is close enough to give us the Fender jollies we crave but not close enough to be counterfit. I just had a Ffendar one made and is ticking my boxes nicely.

If you choose a waterslide decal, give it a few light mist coats of clear lacquer before use in the water etc.. Same after applied to headstock although I think some old Fenders just had decal plonked on top of final lacquer coat.

I applied a decal to a P bass copy headstock this way and it looked as good as my real one.

Good luck with your choice of design and put up some pics when finished.