Why become a member? ×

Wahey! Another "what cab" topic!

Rik (ESA)

Sorry folks, appreciate there are 1,001 of these topics, but would really appreciate some input...

Background - I'm in a 4 piece (vocal, guitar, bass and drummer) cover band, and am on the search for a new cab(s). After a gig I have to take said cab(s) up two flights of narrow stairs, so spec is as follows:

Needs to be small, and preferably light, but size is key here due to stairs.
Would prefer to be 12 inch cones but happy to be talked around.
Previously used ampeg fridge / decent 4x10's and love the thump and how low they go.
Have read countless good things about genz benz focus 112 cabs but can't find one anywhere now they're out of production.
2 cabs would be preferable, I.e 2 x 112 cabs, and budget for each is a max of £200.
Must be loud! Our drummer is on another level volume wise.
Currently pricing up someone to build a bfm simplexx cab but this isn't a definite, just seeing if viable - any reviews of these would be appreciated!

Thanks v much in advance for any help.

Cheers
Rick

Edited by Rik (ESA)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1402487486' post='2474016']
If you need a lot of volume, then a Barefaced Super 12 (or S12T) would be a good call - very, very light, too...oh, and it has wheels, too...
[/quote]

Good solution but he only got budget of £200 for the cab ....

For the price I would recommend TC BC series. Not sure how loud can they go as I never get a chance to max out on my band but they are certainly cheap and light.

Sadly I have neither the tools not ability to build my own simplexx, otherwise that's what I'd do for sure!

If I just went with one cab I could run to £400, but doubt they (barefaced) go for that second hand, and certainly not new! Re the TC, which cabs do you use? Thanks for all replies!

[quote name='Rik (ESA)' timestamp='1402488976' post='2474039']
If I just went with one cab I could run to £400, but doubt they (barefaced) go for that second hand, and certainly not new! Re the TC, which cabs do you use? Thanks for all replies!
[/quote]

My Barefaced Big One was £400 second hand on here and it's brilliant. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238794-barefaced-big-baby/"]This[/url] was a total bargain, but unsurprisingly it's gone.
They do appear though, you just have to subscribe to 'Amps and Cabs for sale' forum and keep your eyes open. :)

Good afternoon, Rick...

A long shot, but can we try a bit of 'parallel thinking'; it might work..? Why do you need to transport cabs up and down stairs. I'm assuming that that's your home, an upstairs flat..? Could your 'gig' cabs not be stored elsewhere, with a band mate, a garage/shed, or even left in the car..? For playing at home any tiny cab would do, and wouldn't go anywhere. Just a thought; hope this helps.

Best buy in the FS section I've seen recently, were 2 GS112's ..
BIG tight low end but you'd have to see if you liked that cab bias in your playing.

Not sure how easy it is to get a 500 plus watt 2 cab solution for your money

A compromise might be the EBS Classic 12's x 2

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402489737' post='2474050']
My Barefaced Big One was £400 second hand on here and it's brilliant.[/quote]

Yep. Mine was a tad more than that but involved a trade... you can certainly pick up a used gen2 Compact for £400 or less. They are certainly loud enough for your needs and so light and portable that it is laughable!

Gen 1/2 Compacts go for between £300 - £400 used, I think one of those would do you fine as it's what I use in a similar situation :)

Where are you based? You'd be welcome to give mine a go if your local.

Thanks everyone.

I used the first edition compact when it did the uk tour, and tried it in a medal band (drop c) tuning and it wasn't as loud as the 4x10 I had then, so have not really followed much since. I suppose it could be worth trying out in standard tuning nowadays though... I'm in Keighley West Yorkshire btw! Oh and I know they're light - loaded amp, cab, guitar and pedals in in one go!

Cheers