Why become a member? ×

The (old) band is dead - long live the (new) band

Diablo

The time had to come. After all the shenanigans of the last couple of months my old band played a gig around 5 weeks ago and 2 days after that it all imploded. No-one in the band had any contact with any other member until yesterday when one of the guitarists emailed round asking when the next rehearsal was. I guess he genuinely did not know what had been going on. I just emailed back everyone but lead singer to say situation too difficult, I'm out for good.

Two things bring me some solice - I must have had ~10 emails with the rhythm guitarist in support and offering to meet, have a pint etc, and then the lead guitar called me and we had a good talk. They are good guys, but the lead guitar has known the singer 30 or 40 years so no way I can get between that relationship.

First rehearsal for a new band this coming Monday, 6 songs set for first meet so we can play each 3-4 times in a couple of hours and see how it all gels. If that 4 piece goes well the guitarist has already mentioned he wants to add a rhythm guitar, well I might just know where there is one that is not currently very busy...! Would it be wrong to poach him, or should I clean-break?

The dilemma, excitement and new set-list are keeping my mind pretty busy right now, which is probably a good thing. My only snag is Phil Lynott bass lines - I've carefully avoided them in the past but I'm in at the deep end now.

Cheers,
Rich

I dunno about wearing hats on stage and such. Seems to me that a wacky hat is a substitute for skill and personality.
'Ooh, look at my wacky hat... I'm an interesting and unusual musician-type, even though I'm only playing fifths and roots...'

*Pulls Gorro Catalàn down over face and hides behind sofa*

Ah yes, I suppose the guitarist two band option is there, up to him I suppose. I'll have a go a nurturing that idea I think.

Hats - a stove pipe is the only way, Isambard Kingdom Brunel pulled that look off perfectly and I am jealous of him. Now I have a flat cap, Aussie bush hat and a pork pie. Should I turn up at first rehearsal with a hat and make my point, or keep it in the closet for first gig and hit them with it then?

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1401365168' post='2462819']
Brunel pulled that look off perfectly and I am jealous of him.
Should I turn up at first rehearsal with a hat and make my point, or keep it in the closet for first gig and hit them with it then?
[/quote]

You need to rock the cigar, frock coat, high-collar shirt and black silk tie with the hat for the full effect!
Mutton chops are pretty much [i]de rigueur[/i], too.
Yes, keep the hat in the closet - you never know, your new band might be [i]hattist[/i] - you don't want to fail straight away. ;)

Edited by discreet

I think IKB's main issue was that he was a terrific shortarse - he was only 5'7" to the top of his hat in that photo... :D

Anyway, I'd like a Torero for that Nonchalant Mouseketeer look...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401360027' post='2462765']
*Pulls Gorro Catalàn down over face and hides behind sofa*
[/quote]

You could've spared yourself the pulling down bit if you had used the Gorro Automovilista. But then, you censored that part of the pic. :(

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1401374102' post='2462944']
...you censored that part of the pic. :(
[/quote]

Actually, I didn't... that was the entire pic, or at least the version I copied. Please feel free to post an alternative if you have one. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401374891' post='2462954']
Actually, I didn't... that was the entire pic, or at least the version I copied. Please feel free to post an alternative if you have one. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, I assumed as much, but couldn't resist hating censorship. :)

Would have posted the pic already, but my Windows Explorer doesn't work well. But here's a link to one:
[url="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AQs7OP-s7JE/T_2DCT1tsoI/AAAAAAAAAMc/1zsj_HzMugs/s1600/mens-vintage-hats-1.jpg"]http://2.bp.blogspot...tage-hats-1.jpg[/url]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1401375207' post='2462963']
Yeah, I assumed as much, but couldn't resist hating censorship. :)
Would have posted the pic already, but my Windows Explorer doesn't work well.
[/quote]

Lovely, here we go then:

I think that Tiara would probably be best for metal.

I notice this thread got 4 posts in before it careered off topic onto vintage headwear!

Discreet - your new pic and stuff is very off-putting, it is like a bald friend who one day turns up to a pub meet wearing a syrup. I know its you, but at the same time it is not you. I'm confused.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1401375675' post='2462974']
I notice this thread got 4 posts in before it careered off topic onto vintage headwear! Discreet - your new pic and stuff is very off-putting, it is like a bald friend who one day turns up to a pub meet wearing a syrup. I know its you, but at the same time it is not you. I'm confused.
[/quote]

It's completely relevant - if you're going to wear a hat in your new band you need as much hat information as possible!
[size=4]Don't worry about the profile pic - you'll get used to it - and can look forward to exactly the same lewd rambling and derailments... :)[/size]

[size=4][quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1401375793' post='2462976'][/size]The chuchonera looks like a vintage gimp mask, gotta be a market for them nowadays?
[/quote]

I think you mean the Automovilista?
Which is probably for driving an open car in, by the sound (and look) of it... but yes, could be adapted for gimp use... :crazy:
Could also be good for those 'Blues Brothers' -type gigs where people throw bottles...

Edited by discreet