Why become a member? ×

Foam

JamesBass

It depends on how much of an effect you want and what height your bridge is at. I've used the foam backs from kitchen scourers and my main bass has a tiny section of computer mouse mat which works perfectly. Just playing around with household stuff usually finds something.

Im pretty sure there are already threads about this on here, but for what its worth (normally not a lot) i use a cut off form one of those brillo pads with the large foam body.
Its quite soft so doesn't seem to effect intonation at all, and does a good job of producing a nice thump (i play with a pick).

Only downside is its not quick to get it in and sometimes if a song is called out that needs it quite often illl not bother, or ill just keep it in for as long as i feel like it.

I am on the lookout for a more elegant solution myself, but not going to go as far as that overpriced Bass mute bridge..

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1401130768' post='2460433']
Chopped up and folded old style mouse mat, or a dishwasher sponge are popular options.
[/quote]

Or a real mouse - if it's not been dead for too long. Don't chop it up, though.
I suppose a live mouse would be more sustainable, but you may get a visit from the RSPCA.

Just be sure to use foam that is still soft when it's totally dry - I used a dishpad sponge that I [b]thought[/b] was dry (I rinsed it to get rid of any brand-new-sponge reside, wrung it out and left it out for a day), stuck it in my bass and played it, sounded fantastic. I put it in my gig bag, but then when I got to the studio the next day and tried to play with it, all I got was some seriously harsh buzzing! The bone-dry Beijing air had almost petrified the sponge and made it useless as a mute.