Why become a member? ×

Strings Won't Grip On Geddy Lee Jazz

spongebob

Picked up an immaculate used Geddy Lee bass the other day.

Got a new set of Daddario 45-105 to fit.

E and A fine, but the D and G simply won't grip in the machine heads. They go in, the start to slip as soon as any tension is applied.

I can't understand why - I've resrung hundreds of times on loads of basses (including my old GL a few years back) and never had this before.

I've tried the old fitted set back in, and they're fine - which rules out the bass.

I'm pulling my hair out here with a half strung bass - help!!

Managed to fix it.....I think!

I resrtung, with one turn around the post, and the second putting the string through the centre gap in the machine head, and around then on (I banked on 3/3.5mm excess, should have left 4).

My last GL was a used example as well, and I remember it being strung as such when I got it.

I'd love to know if it's just my GL, or if this is common......or if everyone strings in this way and I was previously wrong!

I've always done in and around, never used the centre gap before....!

I'll leave more next for sure!

I'm used to my Ric with its very small heads, 3mm is fine on that.

The Fender tuners are much bigger!

It's stayed fine overnight - so the problem is totally fixed. Funny thing is I bought another used GL a few years ago (sadly sold), and the previous owner had strung it in exactly the same way.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1401056883' post='2459704']
I had this problem with stringing my bass up the other week. Turns out i cut it too short, so it wasn't getting enough grip, and slipped out as i was tensioning it. I found a solution though, instead of buying a new string

[/quote]
Genius!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1401379760' post='2463047']
Here's how I did mine.

Do I assume that the tension on the neck, etc. is the same regardless how the string is wrapped around the tuning post? Up, through, around, tied together....? :D
[/quote]

Yes, the tension will be the same, it's only the length between the bridge & nut, the guage, and the tuning that makes a difference to overall tension.

That's an interesting way of putting strings on - I've never seen it done that way! I would usually put the string vertically in the centre hole of the post, then bend it down horizontally and then wind. I try to get 3 or 4 full winds on the post (especially on the A on a Fender, for a sharper break angle at the nut), and I've never had problems with slipping. You should be able to get at least 3 or 4 winds on the D & G, depending on the length of the string. I actually don't even cut my strings before putting them on anymore - it's worked ok for me both with DR strings and Thomastiks. I just have to be a bit careful about making sure the wind starts high on the E.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...