Why become a member? ×

The Importance of Artwork & Logos

Love the atwork in this thread, wish I could do all that stuff myself. I can work in metal and wood all day long, but give me photoshop or a paintbrush and I'm hopeless.

Favourites - love the Gorillaz style art, especially the touch of class with singer laid on the floor and rest of band carrying on. Also the Spider Queen airbrushing and how the worried look on the faces has been achieved. Finally not in this thread but prevalent on Basschat - the Hot Sauce logo.

I am also a designer and have my own print company too and we struggle with charging and costs for artwork. For my own purposes, we tend to charge pretty much a flat fee for logos depending on how much time we think it will take at the beginning (average of £150). In our experience, customers do not understand or appreciate the time taken to think about and create the concept of logos and don't like an open ended project. What I tend to do is to do a couple of sheets of hand drawn ideas and concepts, no colours, no fonts etc, just very quick sketches. These we provide free of charge an let the work sell itself. If the customer likes any of them we will develop them into proper mockups and then charge for it. If there is nothing suitable and we are on different wavelengths we merely shake hands and part company.
I think a young start up band (similar to as a young start up company) will not appreciate the time and effort and importance of good design, nor have money,whereas a more mature band (or company) can see the benefits, and have the finances.

My policy on working with a new band or musician is quite clear, I will develop a logo\brand for them at no charge but, I insist on complete creative control.

This is something well worth considering if you have limited budget, there are plenty of student/post-grads who would jump at the chance to design logos, album artwork etc for the right brief, they need good work in their portfolios, you just need to trust the designer.

This is not an invitation for me to produce free artwork for you lot btw, I tend to have some kind of relationship with the band/musician before I consider waving a fee!

If the band want creative input, design by committee and endless amends then I will charge accordingly.

Got ours for free from one of the drummers friends who is quiet talented on that front. And he gave us the files so we can go into Photoshop or whatever and change its colour to what we want etc, and place it on any band photos.

In regards to band photos we do all our own. People have been surprised that we got the last one done on our own with lots of compliments on how much of a band photo looks.

The only thing we haven't got round to sorting out is or EP artwork, since we have no idea what we want.

Got ours for free from one of the drummers friends who is quiet talented on that front. And he gave us the files so we can go into Photoshop or whatever and change its colour to what we want etc, and place it on any band photos.

In regards to band photos we do all our own. People have been surprised that we got the last one done on our own with lots of compliments on how much of a band photo looks.

The only thing we haven't got round to sorting out is or EP artwork, since we have no idea what we want.