Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Standard P-Bass

solo4652

Hi,

I'm seriously interested in a Japan Standard P-Bass from Guitaremporium.co.uk See: [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=3[/url]

How does the quality of these basses compare to MIM or MIA Precisions?

Has anybody bought from Guitaremporium online? Any comments, please?

Steve

That dealer seems to get mostly good feedback fromm here. (there are 2 HUGE jap fans on here who will be along shortly no doubt)

There are variances on ALL Fenders from whichever county of orgin, but you can alomst gaurantee that a Jap F will be good to v.good.

An American one could be amazing to pants and any variation in between.

Mex generally have some cheaper quality componenets than American but some parts are the same and hence the result is as varied as the US ones.

I bought a 1957 RI P bass from Guitaremporium (now sold to noirbass). I have never owned a MIA Precision to compare but I can say that the quality of the bass was extremely high. Only sold as I wanted a more punk-looking bass (got a CIJ Sid/Ramones-alike P from eBay) which I know is very superficial ... Every review I have ever read of Japanese Fenders suggests that they have very stringent quality control and, in many people's views, much better QC than Fender USA. As the owner now of the aforementioned CIJ P bass (see my avatar) I can say that both Japanese Fenders I have owned were absolutely top notch products.

You could get the bass a bit cheaper by going to the Fender Ishibashi website but then you have the complications of communicating your order, dealing in Yen and paying the customs charges (c.20%) yourself. Far simpler to pay slightly more and let Guitaremporium deal with all that.

One thing I will add is that MIA fenders are made of a wood (Alder) that is generally preferred to the basswood which Fender Japan use in their standard models. However I have also read that basswood varies immensely and that Fender Japan tend to use a high quality densely-grained basswood that has excellent tonal properties. Can't say that I ever noticed any tonal shortcomings with either of my CIJ Fender P's.

Edited by Clarky

Hi, I bought from Guitaremporium in April.....a P-Bass re 62 Vintage White which is:
[url="http://www.schizzechea.it/MM/p3.jpg"]http://www.schizzechea.it/MM/p3.jpg[/url]

I only have added a pickup ashtray and some D'Addario flatwound string.
I am really happy about it. I think that at the end the Fender Precision is THE BASS!

To be hoenst i don't know the difference beetwen CIJ and MIA because i never own a MIA bass but i have 2 Fender CIJ and to be honest they are perfect!

I think the difference is about the pickups and woods, my pbass has Japan Vintage pickups but you can buy also the bass with USA pickups, about the wood i am not an expert so i don't know, but what i can say for sure is that the way Fender Japan works is really great and the quality standard is really high.
I don't know if i was just lucky but Pbass is not less then more expensive Fenders.

About Guitaemporium evertyhting was absolutely perfect, great comunication, great price and fast delivery!!
My bass was not in stock, so it was orderd by GE in Japan, after less then 2 weeks the bass was in my hands!!

I hope this help!
:)

Edited by jazzbassmm

[quote name='solo4652' post='242202' date='Jul 17 2008, 09:51 PM']Hi,

I'm seriously interested in a Japan Standard P-Bass from Guitaremporium.co.uk See: [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=3[/url]

How does the quality of these basses compare to MIM or MIA Precisions?

Has anybody bought from Guitaremporium online? Any comments, please?

Steve[/quote]

Sorry Steve, we're now not allowed to compare different kinds of basses as per The Burpster's directive found in this post:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=23404&view=findpost&p=242180"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=242180[/url]

[i]See point #3: Squier are a different brand than Fender, so what? dont compare them![/i]

Whodathunk it, eh?

[quote name='Clarky' post='242228' date='Jul 17 2008, 10:25 PM']I bought a 1957 RI P bass from Guitaremporium (now sold to noirbass). I have never owned a MIA Precision to compare but I can say that the quality of the bass was extremely high. Only sold as I wanted a more punk-looking bass (got a CIJ Sid/Ramones-alike P from eBay) which I know is very superficial ... Every review I have ever read of Japanese Fenders suggests that they have very stringent quality control and, in many people's views, much better QC than Fender USA. As the owner now of the aforementioned CIJ P bass (see my avatar) I can say that both Japanese Fenders I have owned were absolutely top notch products.

You could get the bass a bit cheaper by going to the Fender Ishibashi website but then you have the complications of communicating your order, dealing in Yen and paying the customs charges (c.20%) yourself. Far simpler to pay slightly more and let Guitaremporium deal with all that.

One thing I will add is that MIA fenders are made of a wood (Alder) that is generally preferred to the basswood which Fender Japan use in their standard models. However I have also read that basswood varies immensely and that Fender Japan tend to use a high quality densely-grained basswood that has excellent tonal properties. Can't say that I ever noticed any tonal shortcomings with either of my CIJ Fender P's.[/quote]

Has anybody out there dealt directly with Ishibashi recently? How do the customs charges get paid - by Ishibashi, or me? How does this work?

[quote name='Toasted' post='242511' date='Jul 18 2008, 11:08 AM']Sorry Steve, we're now not allowed to compare different kinds of basses as per The Burpster's directive found in this post:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=23404&view=findpost&p=242180"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=242180[/url]

[i]See point #3: Squier are a different brand than Fender, so what? dont compare them![/i]

Whodathunk it, eh?[/quote]

Oh dear, how drole...... :)

It was in referance to that particular thread where it had got a little out of hand .......

if you go for one of the jap 'US' version reissues you get alder or ash rather than basswood and also US pups rather than cheaper (i guess) jap ones.
Possibly worth the extra- my 57 'US' p is excellent and has one of the best necks i have ever felt on any bass.
look around though there are a few folk importing them at slightly different prices.

[quote name='solo4652' post='242533' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:27 PM']Has anybody out there dealt directly with Ishibashi recently? How do the customs charges get paid - by Ishibashi, or me? How does this work?[/quote]

I have. Customs charges are your responsibility - Royal Mail/Parecelforce/etc will kindly help you out with them, taking your money and handing it to C&E for you.

I ordered a Les Paul copy a couple of years ago, and it arrived very swiftly (3-5 days) and wrapped up in about 100 yards of bubblewrap. Seriously - I have a business of my own, and I am still using their bubblewrap for my own shipments. The guitar was in a box, which was in a box padded with bubblewrap, which was in a box padded with bubblewrap which was coated with bubblewrap 3 inches thick. It took me 35 minutes to unpack it all.

Not only did it arrive in totally perfect condition, it was perfectly intonated, set up and...get this...IN TUNE!

[quote name='Clarky' post='242228' date='Jul 17 2008, 10:25 PM']You could get the bass a bit cheaper by going to the Fender Ishibashi website but then you have the complications of communicating your order, dealing in Yen and paying the customs charges (c.20%) yourself. Far simpler to pay slightly more and let Guitaremporium deal with all that.[/quote]

Ishibashi no longer sell to UK customers direct, after Fender turned the thumbscrews.
[quote]One thing I will add is that MIA fenders are made of a wood (Alder) that is generally preferred to the basswood which Fender Japan use in their standard models. However I have also read that basswood varies immensely and that Fender Japan tend to use a high quality densely-grained basswood that has excellent tonal properties. Can't say that I ever noticed any tonal shortcomings with either of my CIJ Fender P's.[/quote]

There are two kinds of Japanese Fenders. The export variety have basswod bodies and hardware from i know not where. The 'Not For Export' models have alder or ash bodies and US pickups, and are generally built to a very high standard of quality. You might like to talk to John Blackman of Far East Guitars and see what he has in stock - he imports very low mileage not-for-exports and the one I have looks new. He seems to have a nice '57 with a maple board at the moment, if that's your thing.

Guitar Emporium are just about to increase their web prices (was told this in an email from them yesterday) but until that happens there is 62 RI Precision in 3-tone sunburst going for £459, in case interested. Very nice bass

Update:

I didn'y buy a Standard MIJ Fender Precision - I was a bit suspicious of the spec. of the Standard range.

I didn'y buy a Fender from Ishibashi. I e-mailed them, and they have now stopped exporting basses.

I didn't buy a Highway One.

I didn't buy a Fender MIM Precision.

But...

I [i]did[/i] buy a Tokai Hardpuncher, new for £300. Get it in a couple of days time.

Many thanks to all of you who have given me loads of advice over the past few weeks - I very much appreciate this.

Steve

That should sort you out! I hope you enjoy.

[quote name='pete.young' post='243635' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:01 AM']There are two kinds of Japanese Fenders. The export variety have basswod bodies and hardware from i know not where. The 'Not For Export' models have alder or ash bodies and US pickups, and are generally built to a very high standard of quality. You might like to talk to John Blackman of Far East Guitars and see what he has in stock - he imports very low mileage not-for-exports and the one I have looks new. He seems to have a nice '57 with a maple board at the moment, if that's your thing.[/quote]

not quite true. There are different types of "Not for Export" Jap fenders. a standard range. a Reissue range and the 'US' reissue range. It's the 'US' ones that have the ash/alder and US pups.
+1 for Far east guitars though. Email him with what you are looking for to get first dibs