Why become a member? ×

GK MB Fusion 800

acidbass

Hi all

Anyone had any experience with these? Mighty impressed by the specs and the simplicity of the tone controls - unfortunately I don't do the graphic EQ thing! I play blues, rock and pop and favour a warm, thumping tone so I think the valves would be a nice touch.

Danny

Not used the 800, did have the 500. It`s possible to get a nice warm sound from it, as the tubes really thicken the sound up. Of course it can do the famed GK sound as well, but I`ve read on Talkbass the MB Fusion is regarded as being the least GK sounding GK amp.

Hey Danny - I've got the 500 Fusion - whether the 800 sounds the same but with more power, I don't know. What I do know is the 500 is a beast and you will certainly get a warm, thumping tone out of it and then some - if that's what you want.

You will also get extreme versatility in the mid range. I play in a rock band and usually have the gain at about 10:00 and the master at about the same - it's a very loud amp indeed and I would question the need for the 800 unless you have an [i]extremely [/i]loud drummer and/or guitarist. It's plug and play too, no need for periphery equipment - your sound is right there. It's lush. :)

That's it from me - don't want to be accused of being a GK fanboi or cheerleader... ;)

Edited by discreet

Great guys thanks for the advice! I've only heard good things so far and seems to have all of the right faculties for my type of sound! Will see if I can try one pronto.

Lozz - what did you replace yours with and why?

• 1 month later...

I've just spent some time tonight with the GKMB800, the GK MB Fusion 800 (both on trial from an online retailer), and my Streamliner 900. Home only, rehearsal later this week to test at full war volumes...

The Fusion and the Streamliner are definitely in the same tone universe. 'Tubiness' and a little grit, or a lot more if you want it slightly driven. Close enough that I would only own one of those two amps. The Fusion is in active production and probably extends a little lower as it is not high passed in the same way as the Streamliner. Two channels and a free foot switch....probably a more flexible EQ overall too, though the 'deep' boost at 30 Hz I think is just asking for trouble with some cabs and in some environments.

But...the Streamliner can be gotten a lot cheaper secondhand, and it's EQ is quite simple but powerful. The EQ knobs all interact with each other more than you would think, which I think the Fusion EQ does less of. I wouldn't use it for fine EQ for a room, just tone shaping. TBH I'd probably say the same of the Fusion, though. (And most bass preamps...I've found finer control using pedals, though if you have a rack system I imagine a Rane or something like that would give you very fine control indeed).

The GK MB800 is, to my ears anyway, very wide and clean. Big bass/low end with controls set flat (as per the Bass Gear Magazine review which shows you how to do this - contour off, treble 11 o'clock, Low mid 1, high mid 1, bass 11). Surprisingly it sounded much less 'toppy' than the Fusion; I had to seriously boost (!!) the treble and high mids to get the same sort of upper end as I did on the Fusion. This was quite unexpected for me. It just sounded a bit darker and cleaner than I was expecting; perhaps I'm used to the extra tubiness/harmonics of the Streamliner. I think perhaps a good chunk of the GK sound must come from their cabs in combination with the heads, not just the heads alone.

The Fusion and Streamliner are sufficiently different from the GK MB800 to justify owning both, if desired. IMO

Test basses - Celinder Update (ash/maple), modded Squier CV Jazz (rosewood/alder). (My P bass is getting some tweaks so out of the house right now...)

Test cabs - Bergantino CN112, Audiokinesis TC112AFv2 (8 ohm).

....NB...the most important factor in how I sound through all this stuff is mainly me. LOL

Edited by funkle

Last Month caught Hamilton Loomis in Oxford this time he had a certain Mr Weir on Bass and was playing an MB800 fusion with some wild settlings that i would not consider but worked for him. so just jumped on the Tube to see if he was on there, link attached but he is not playing the 800 in the clip. But if they are still touring worth catching as they were as tight as i have seen them. Great bass player. The thing with the 800 because of the LED knobs you can work out the settings including knobs that are pulled. He played with bass rolled off 10o'clock but with deep pulled. and with low mid rolled off about the same, then high mid boosted about 2 oclock with the High at about 1 o'clock also pulled. The contour was also pulled and well over at about 3 oclock. Of course don't know what the house sound man was doing with his signal. check them out

http://youtu.be/Hu78aqTTwmQ

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400011239' post='2449938']
Hey Danny - I've got the 500 Fusion - whether the 800 sounds the same but with more power, I don't know. What I do know is the 500 is a beast and you will certainly get a warm, thumping tone out of it and then some - if that's what you want.

You will also get extreme versatility in the mid range. I play in a rock band and usually have the gain at about 10:00 and the master at about the same - it's a very loud amp indeed and I would question the need for the 800 unless you have an [i]extremely [/i]loud drummer and/or guitarist. It's plug and play too, no need for periphery equipment - your sound is right there. It's lush. :)

That's it from me - don't want to be accused of being a GK fanboi or cheerleader... ;)
[/quote]

Oi! GK fanboi - pack it in!

Talking of fanbois, I hope my Streamliner lasts for ever!

Thanks for the review, I've wondered more than once 'what if...'. I've currently got this in mind:
http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/bass-guitar-amplifiers.aspx

(fanbois, should that be pronounced 'fanbwah' and is french for a culinary delight?)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1405334683' post='2500826']
...(fanbois, should that be pronounced 'fanbwah' and is french for a culinary delight?)
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Une palourde, peut-être..? :huh:[/font][/size]