Why become a member? ×

I saw John Paul Jones last night

Buzzy

I saw him down my local pub at a warm up gig for his Zooma tour many years ago. He was no more than 25 feet away at any one time. A fantastic gig. At the end of the night the roadies rolled in this absolutely huge flight case with Led Zeppelin and the 4 symbols scrolled across the side. Being an absolute Zep nut, I was gobsmacked (sad I know).
The guy that promoted the gig told me that JPJ was incredibly nervous, as it was the first ever gig that he had headlined under his own name.
By all reports a real gentleman as well. It was a fantastic night.
I will never forget standing beside the keyboards as JPJ played the intro to " No Quarter". Still gives me goose bumps.

Edited by leroydiamond

There are all sorts of reasons to love JPJ but for me it is his openness to all sorts of different kinds of music, and new ways of making music. Last time I saw him live he was play some seriously good (and seriously unclassifiable) improv/electronica/jazz/post rock with Supersilent at Brum Town Hall on 14 Nov 2012. He was playing a 12 string bass (I think) and was doing mysterious things to his own playing using an iPad - he seemed to be looping himself and then using software to screw around with the looped material. Anyway, it sounded great.

Found a picture on the internet:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/supersilent-jpj-bham.jpg